Chapter 37: Elysium

Darkness consumed Persephone as she slept under the coved ceilings and quiet night air. She was still under the sheets when she felt a faint kiss on her cheek. A familiar velvety touch caressed her bare leg and she was pulled out from her slumber.

"Hades," she whispered softly. She felt his smile on her neck. "You're home."

Hades lifted the blanket and snuggled close behind her. "Yeah."

She felt another weight jump on the bed and snuggle at her feet, which she was delighted for because her cold feet welcomed the intense warmth. "Cerberus," she called out and the three-headed dog licked her outstretched hand before he settled himself again.

"He insisted to come here with me," said Hades. "I couldn't say no."

Persephone pressed her back against his chest and circled his arm that was around her waist. "It's good you brought him," she said. "I missed both of you."

Hades kissed the top of her head. "I missed you more."

"How was work?" she asked as their leisurely breathing matched.

"Busy, as always," he answered. "I practically had to escape from Mono and the others, or else they would have kept me all night."

Persephone chuckled. "The king of hell running away from his duties."

"I had a good reason," he whispered against her ear. A chill crawled down her back and Hades snuggled her closer to him.

"Hey, I'm not complaining," said Persephone.

Hades ran his hand along the curve of her waist and hip. "Are you wearing my shirt?" he asked suddenly.

"Yes," she answered. "Is that a problem?"

Hades scoffed. "Either you wear my shirts from now on, or sleep with nothing at all."

Persephone laughed. "It was just for tonight because you weren't here beside me," she told him earnestly.

"Well, you won't need to do that often," he said, "since I'll always be by your side." Hades circled his arm around her and locked her against his hard body. She was safe in his embrace. Nothing gave her more comfort than being with him.

Hades heartbeat lulled her back into deep sleep.

            Persephone slipped out from under the sheets and let Hades sleep for another hour since he came so late last night

Persephone slipped out from under the sheets and let Hades sleep for another hour since he came so late last night. Cerberus however followed her straight into the shower. She took the three-headed hound into the bath pool with her, she gave him a good wash like herself before they dried off, put fresh clothes on and made their way to the lounge room.

An abrupt knock on the door startled Cerberus and Persephone.

"Who is it?" she asked.