Chapter 26: Burn It All

Persephone stirred the tea in her glass that had grown cold like her dampened mood. Hera had invited Hades and her for dinner, but she was so upset she couldn't taste the food or hear what the conversation at the table was between them. The only thought that kept passing through Persephone's ears was that Hades thought that her mother was capable enough to harm innocent lives. Demeter was the goddess of creation, how could she ever harm anything, it would completely go against her nature. Persephone didn't deny that her mother was a bit controlling and devious, but evil enough to slaughter Cerberus was something Persephone could not wrap her head around. 

Her mother could never do something like that, right? She pondered and mused long enough for her head to ache.

"Thank you for joining me tonight," said Hera.

Persephone was snapped out of her thoughts and found Hera's electric eyes observing her with interest. "Thank you for inviting us," said Persephone politely.

Hera hugged both of them and returned to her chambers.

The air was thick with silence between Hades and Persephone as they walked back towards the portal and to say their goodbyes.

Demeter was patiently waiting for Persephone. "Midear," Demeter rushed towards Persephone.

Persephone hugged her mom and grabbed the small luggage of clothes and books. "Thank you for getting my stuff," said Persephone.

"You stay safe," mumbled Demeter. "I'll see you soon. I promise."

Persephone didn't know how to respond to that since she was heading back to the Underworld for a while now. It's not like she wouldn't visit from time to time, but her mother's eerie tone slightly wavered Persephone to wonder if Hades was right earlier.

"Ready," said Hades but his deep voice was flat.

Although she was upset, she slipped her hand into his and stepped through the turbulent portal with him.

Alone once again. They waited on a grim platform, the wet and muddy scent reminded Persephone of a murky swamp. She recognized the scent of dirt very easily and knew that this was the river of souls.

"This is river Styx?" She asked Hades.

"Yes," he confirmed. "Charon should be here soon." Hades began to rummage through his cloak.

"What are you looking for?"

"It seems I forgot to grab some before we left," he mumbled.

Persephone opened her small pouch that her mother gave her and found a couple of silver coins. She quietly took them out and propped them in Hades hand after she let go of it. "Just use these," she said.

Hades eyes searched her blank face.

A creaky boat came gliding over the dark waters that no one could see the bottom of. Persephone gazed through the thick fog and spotted a lively torch hung at the front, the boat approached closer and she spotted a tall skinny figure perched on top, the cloaked figure held a long paddle that was skillfully handled to row the boat.

"Charon," Hades voice echoed through the darkness.

Charon appeared with a polite smile that didn't do anything to hide his cold and deadly look. He truly was worthy of all the rumours about him. "Hades and Persephone," he greeted. "It's nice to finally meet our queen."