Chapter 38: Hecate's Magic

Demeter's gown fluttered behind her as she rushed up the marble stairs into Hecate's temple.

"Hecate," called out Demeter. Her panicked voice echoed in the dark black halls made of marble and gold. "Where are you?"

"Stop shouting," a husky voice echoed through the chamber and Demeter's old friend appeared with a frown.

Demeter rolled her eyes. "Hurry up, Hecate," she rebuked, "and tell me what the letter said?"

Hecate pushed her silver hair over her shoulder. "Sit down and let me get some wine first," she said and did exactly that.

Demeter tapped her fingers on her knees as she waited impatiently. She took a seat on the black cushion seat that matched everything else in this temple. The floor glistened like the night sky and was black as the feathers of a crow. The massive room had long gold columns which supported the structure to be sturdy and undeniably magnificent. Demeter had to give it to Hecate, even if Hecate was banished for practicing black magic, she had built herself quite a beautiful temple.

Hecate appeared with two goblets of wine. "Now, where were we?" she asked as she settled across Demeter. She crossed her long legs at the knee, her black gown glistened like black waters under the flickering light of the torches.

"The letter," urged Demeter.

Hecate took a sip of her wine. "Right," she said before she waved her hand in the air and a piece of parchment appeared in her pale hand- that was adorned by metal claws on each finger. "Hades asked me to come down to the Underworld because apparently your daughter requires my help."

Demeter raised a brow. "What does that even mean?"

"How should I know," said Hecate. "I just thought I should let you know, since it's your daughter that needs my help."

"Will you go to her?" asked Demeter.

Hecate sighed heavily. "I'm not so fond of helping others," she said. "But I am curious for why they need me in particular."

"If I ask you will you go to my daughter and see if she's alright?" asked Demeter.

Hecate frowned. "You think your daughter's in danger?"

"No," answered Demeter. "I just need to know if she's there willingly."

"Just ask her yourself," suggested Hecate.

"I lost the privilege to do that," said Demeter grimly.

Hecate twirled the blood red wine in the silver goblet. "Who told you to hold onto your daughter so tightly that it suffocated her," said Hecate bitterly. "You were too harsh on the child, Demeter."

Demeter rubbed the ache at her temples. "I know I made a mistake," she said.

"There's no point now," said Hecate. "And stop sulking so much, the flowers might just die because of your sad eyes."

"I can't help it," retorted Demeter.

Hecate sighed. "I will visit your daughter and see how she's doing for you," she told Demeter. "But helping them... that's entirely up to me."

Demeter nodded. "Thank you," she said. "Don't tell Persephone that we met and that I know about all of this."

Hecate was surprised. "What did Persephone say that you're so timid now?"