Chapter 43: Unconditionally

Persephone packed a few of her dresses to return back to Olympus. She was happy to hear that Earth had been restored back to full health and harvest. Many rejoiced and celebrated that the gods took mercy on them. But not here in the Underworld, everyone's face had a grim frown and no one uttered a word since they found out the deal their queen had to take to save the very existence of Earth.

She grabbed the bag and found Hades right by the door. "All done," she said trying her hardest to stay happy, but it wasn't helping. Hades saw right through it all, he always had.

"Let's go," he grabbed the bag from her.

Persephone followed him to the main court where everyone waited for her. All the workers from the stables, all the way to the kitchen staff had arrived to see her off. "I'll see you guys in six months," she said with a smile, but their frowns and saddened eyes didn't dissipate. "How am I supposed to leave if all of you will be this sad?" she asked. "Come on, smile for me." Her voice was met with silence, because they didn't know what to say to the queen they welcomed so grandly was now leaving.

Mono stepped forth. "Have a safe trip," he said on behalf of everyone. "We'll be waiting."

"Thank you," said Persephone as she managed to hold back her tears. She needed to stay strong for them, for Hades. "Also- I, appoint Mono, Hecate and Pain in charge of Elysium for the six months that I'm gone," she instructed. "If you have any troubles, just send me a letter and I'll make sure to answer."

"Yes, my queen," replied Hecate with a reassuring smile.

Suddenly, a dark shadow cascaded over them. They all turned and looked to the door to find the massive three-headed hellhound. Cerberus had left his post at the entrance and had come to Persephone. The hound didn't care as he ran through the crowd towards her.

"Cerberus," she cooed sweetly. "Don't be so sad-" she ruffled his thick coat and kissed his three head before she gazed into his large eyes that were wet- "I'll be back before you know it." Persephone waved off her family and walked through the portal with Hades back to Mount Olympus.

Zeus greeted them on the other side. His expression was just as grey as Hades. "Did you say your farewells?" he asked.

"Yes," said Persephone. "How's mother?"

"She's still a little weak," said Zeus. "But thankfully, she's eating and drinking water."

Persephone grabbed her bag from Hades. "Can I have a moment, father?" Zeus trudged away with his hands behind his back. "How are you holding up?" she asked Hades. Hades jaw was locked together. His dark eyes told her how dangerous his mood was right now. Persephone let out a heavy breath before she spoke; "Make sure to eat on time and sleep in our room. Walk Cerberus every day and don't drink tea or wine alone, be around our friends-"

"What are you doing?" he asked sternly.

"Reminding you to keep living even without me," she said happily even though her heart was being crushed inside of her. "Visit my garden and replace the flowers on your desk before they die," she said. "I won't be there to change them, so you'll have to do it."

Hades pulled her into his arms and hid her face from everyone and everything. It was too late for Persephone when she noticed that hot tears fell down her cheeks. "Shhh," Hades whispered. "Don't worry about me, just take care of yourself."

Persephone hugged her husband. His dark scent swarmed around her and she delved deeper in that dark hole that was crushing her soul. "I'll be fine," she alleged. Persephone wiped her tears and put a smile on her face. "Six months is nothing for us immortals," she said with tenacity to hide her sadness. "Twenty-six weeks will go by in a flash." Persephone hugged Hades once more. "I love you, Hades." She ran off before she could hear any reply or last words from him, because she knew that'd just hold her back.