VI. Silently Take it

Vivian's POV:

Amoli sat on the couch, in front of us, with her fingers pressing against her forehead. She looked at us and exhaled before looking back down. Lisa and I were kneeling on the floor, a bit too afraid to sit on the couch with her. Marisa was resting on the ground.

We didn't say a single thing after Lisa told Amoli about her abusive ex-husband. She didn't want to raise Marisa in that type of environment, so she left Marisa temporarily under my care, which is entirely irresponsible, while she faced him.

Marisa began rolling on the floor and giggled as she lifted her legs. Opening her toothless mouth, she chews on her socks. We all smile at the scenery.

"We got two beds and a couch, but we need to get a crib for Marisa since it isn't safe for her to sleep beside us," Amoli said.

I shot up and embraced her, "Why is your heart so big?"

"Hey! Where's my expensive ramen? You message me that you got the job!" she smiles widely.

Lisa held her hand over her mouth, stray of tears dripping down her cheeks. "Thank you," she muffled. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you," she continued chanting while her head hung low. Lisa began curling into a ball as if it's her safety zone. "Thank you." Amoli and I look at each other before going on the floor with her. We kneel there and pat her back. "Thank you...Thank you."

It took roughly two hours for Lisa to calm down, only because she fell asleep on the carpet. Amoli drapes a blanket over her while I hold her head, pushing a pillow underneath.

Amoli sighs, running her fingers through Lisa's hair, revealing more of Lisa's bruises. "She looks like she hasn't slept for days."

I smile, rushing a thumb across Marisa's chubby cheek. "I'm sorry...I told myself not to do it."

Amoli crisscrosses her legs, wrapping her arms around her. "It would be worse if you decided to turn a blind eye."

"Can we do it, though?" I ask, knowing we can barely take care of ourselves. Amoli is in a rocky relationship with her parents, who hardly send her enough money for college and living expenses. I may receive a paid internship, but it doesn't mean I'll bring back a substantial income.

Amoli stood up and walked into the bed. After some ruffling, she came back with two blankets and pillows. She hands me one of each before throwing hers on the ground. Amoli stumps down, "We'll manage. We always do."

I sat there, drifting my head on the pillow. "I can call my parents." That would be the easiest option right now.

Amoli smiled, "What happened to want to make your parents proud? What happened to give yourself one more chance before you crawl back with your pride in the toilet?"

I look at Lisa and Marisa. "Am I too quick to cave?"

"A little bit, yes." I threw myself down, eyes staring at the ceiling, "But, at the same time, no." She turns to her back, "You got nearly 400 job rejections, but you still fought and bit your tongue. You applied, knowing there may be another chance of rejection. So, don't think you can't amount to anything and need to be babied by your parents."

"Says the girl who's parents paid her college tuition and living expenses."

She pitched me, and I cringed back. "You ungrateful brat." I giggled, "That small amount of money is what got us living."

I sigh, "I know."

"Plus, if you go back, your parents will make you get married." She turns towards me, "I don't understand why parents think that their daughters need to get married to be happy? To be taken care of by someone else."

I sigh, knowing Amoli is in the same situation as me. In real life, Amoli got two options. One barely lives on the money her parents send her while going through college. Two, go home and get married to the person her parents arranged for her.

My parents believe that I should get married instead of establishing a career for myself. They love me, yes. However, that's what they believe is best for me. They think I should marry a respectable man and settle down. Who else is best for me more than my ex-husband. Even if it is arranged, at least I get to be able to marry someone I love.

I exhale, "I don't understand either." I curled my body towards her.

She pats my head once, "Let's discuss this tomorrow. Preferably, after breakfast."

Moreover, that's exactly what we did. We slept soundly that night, or so I thought. While the moon was high up in the sky, I dreamt of someone. Someone who I never want to see again.

***

"Liam."

I kneel against the floor and glance upward, seeing his usual blank features. Upon analyzing it, I saw a rather cheeky guy who held wondrous features, although it was still baby-like; he was sweet, but addictive like a piece of candy.

"Pardon?" I asked.

"My name is Liam," he said. "Now, can you show me the location of this class?" I look down to see a slip of paper in his hand.

Lifting a finger, I point it to my left. "Down the hall, turn right, and it's the third door to the left."

Liam nods, "Thank you." He bows his head slightly before walking down the hall.

My eyes rest on my bloody knees from when the other students shove me down earlier. It's not their fault, I wasn't moving out of their way quickly enough, and they were too much in a rush to go to their classroom.

I sighed and began picking up the scattering papers across the floor. I pile up the papers one by one until another one is pulled in front of me. Glancing upward, Liam chocolate browns met mine. "Here."

"Thank you," I responded, grabbing the paper from his hand. Liam squatted, putting down his books, before helping me gather the documents.

I didn't dare look into her eyes. "I-I never saw you around here."

"Transfer student."

"Where are you from?"

"UK."

I look up to see our proximity, causing the beating inside my chest to increase. My cheek scorches hot as his minty breath fanned my face. Inhaling a shaky breath, the scent of sweet green apple and lemonade pick up. I think that's my new favorite smell.

Liam stood up straighter, tucking a hand into his pocket before pulling out a few bandages. He hands it to me, "Be more careful from now on." I grab the bandages. Liam walks away while I stare at his back, not broad, but somehow strong.

Liam halts his steps before turning around. "Next time, if someone bumps into you, don't silently take it. At least say something."

"