LXXI. Ding. Ding. Fucking. Ding.

Vivian's POV:

From what memories served, Liam's grandfather had always been a rough old man.

I had only met him twice. Once during an official family gathering and a second time during our wedding. We barely spoke with one another. Mostly because I was too afraid of him and his beatable stick.

There's also the fact that Liam's grandfather is a traditionalist.

Mrs.Everhart told me that he had softened over the years, particularly after she married a honhyeol, which mean mixed blood. However, even with that unbelievable softening, at least to say, he wasn't happy when Liam agreed to marry a black woman.

I believe his words were: "I do not agree with this marriage arrangement."

"Oehal-abeonim," Liam greeted him with a bow. His face grimaces due to the pain, but he held it in.

One step after another, he entered the room, causing everyone to shrink in fear; mainly me.

Mrs.Everhart walked towards him, grabbing his hanmok. "Appa. Don't be too rough with Liam. He is still-"

He growled at Mrs.Everhart, and she released the hanmok, casting her eyes downward.

"Appa, you know Mun Mi is sad enough nowadays. Why are you so rough on her?" I look behind Liam's grandfather to see a familiar man, "And Liam is a patient. Why are you making him greet you?"

"I did not force him." His voice was still as commanding and loud as ever.

Liam bowed, "Woe-samchon."

"Aigoo. Liam. You're hurt. Why are you still bowing to people? Lay down. Lay down." Liam's uncle helps him sit down. "I heard what happened. Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

"Perhaps, we can allow Liam to rest. They say a lot of people-"

"Oh, you're a doctor now, huh Charlie," Liam's uncle cut off Mr.Everhart.

From what I know, Liam's father and uncle don't get along well. More like his uncle hate his father guts.

"That's not what I meant. I mean to say-"

"That his relatives who flew all the way from Korea to America when they heard the news cannot stay longer and ask him for his well being?"

Mr.Everhart step forward. "Beom-seok." That's Liam's uncle name. "You're putting words into my mouth."

Liam's uncle glared at him, "How about a fist in your-"

"That's enough! Charlie. Beom-seok. Settle down. Liam needs rest," Mrs.Everhart said, clenching her fists tightly.

Liam's uncle cleared his throat, and his eyes met mine. He smiled but did not greet me. Similar to Liam's grandfather, he is a traditionalist. He doesn't voice it, but I know he doesn't approve of me. That was something I had to learn how to deal with, even if it still hurts.

"What kind of man-" Liam's grandfather voice lowered, "allow himself to be beaten up to this state."

"Appa-" He held up a hand to stop Mrs.Everhart from speaking.

"Leave. I need to speak to Liam."

Everyone exchanged looks, feeling their hearts palpitating. According to Korean traditions, Liam's grandfather held the highest status in the family.

"Don't...Don't be too cruel to him," Mrs.Everhart whispered lowly before leaving.

One by one, people began leaving understanding that the old man won't budge. Liam's grandfather sat down beside him who, once again, sat upward.