LXVIII. Stages of Rejection

Vivian's POV:

They said there are five stages of rejection.

Some go through it slowly; others enter through all five stages immediately.

First, denial.

This is the first stage where you pretended it never happened.

"Liam probably forgot. I should go remind him," I told myself as I walked towards the car. "Or maybe, I got the wrong date or the wrong restaurant." The parking lot was empty, deserted.

I am a small, beautifully independent woman who is in a fantastic sexy temptress dress, walking in a vacant parking lot.

Bitches, you watch out because my damn heels are as sharp as a knife.

I wasn't afraid of getting assaulted. Strangers should be frightened of me.

I got into the car and began driving. I parked in front of a local supermarket, walked inside with a dazzling smile. I tapped my finger on an employee's shoulder. He turned around, "How may I help-" his voice trailed off as his eyes scanned my body.

"May I ask where are the bats located?"

He cleared his throat, taking a hard blink. I know I look good. I took days and paychecks to look this good. "Yes, I'll show you."

We walked from aisle to aisle. "How was your night miss?"

I laughed, and my laughter grew louder by the second "Great!"

He turned his head, not looking at me anymore. "The bats are located here, in the sports section."

I grabbed a wooden bat. "Do you have me-" I turned my body, "Ah, I want this one." I clank the metal bat against the surface of the counter.

The employee inhaled a deep breath. "Is there anything thing else I can do to help?"

I shook my head, "This is it. Thank you so much. I'm so grateful to meet you."

I checked out the bat, once again, the employee adverted their eyes. I bid the cashier goodbye and went into the car. I turned on the car and drove home.

Parked one street away from the house, I got out with the bat.

Second, anger.

I inhaled a deep breath, allowing the fresh air to invade my sense. My eyes snapped open, and with a swung, I slammed the bat against the expensive car.

"Fucker! Fucker!" I hit the car once more, causing the alarm to ring, "You think having a damn condition gives you the fucking right to turn down someone beautiful like me!"

I continued smacking the bat against the car and with each hit; I wasn't getting any better.

"At least, send me a goddamn text message or a fucking assistant like last time! Shithole! I waited for you! I was willing to give us another damn fucking chance!"

Finally, I was tired.

I dropped, allowing the bat to roll onto the cement ground.

Third, reverse to denial.

I took a sniff as the wind brushed past me. "Is it because I was mean to you? I promise to be nicer."

You can promise all you want, but we all know he thinks you're ugly.
The hiccups appeared. "I don't mind that you have autism. I like this side of you. It's sweet."

Sweet enough to embarrass you in a restaurant full of people.

My body rolled into a ball, pressed against the damaged car. "We can talk things through Liam. I-I don't want a divorce."