XLIII. Ice Cream

Vivian's POV:

At the ice cream parlor, two little girls were standing there with their hands spread over the chilled glass-like sea stars. Behind them, stood a tall man who calmly waited for them to make their final decision.

"I want this! No! This!" Elaina changed her mind continuously.

"Liam! Liam!" Kate's voice was pitched high, but it was cute like the mouse from Tom and Jerry, "I can't see! Kate can't see!"

I can tell, with a variety of choices, there was an endless possibility of combinations. Even the cones weren't simple, from typical cone to those dipped in chocolate with or without sprinkle. Then, there is the bowl with a variety of flavors.

Liam picked Kate up, and she mounted her face onto the glass. She breathes on it, pressed her fingerprints all over their neatly cleaned exterior. There is a reason why that barrier is there, for people like them.

"Mum, what should I get? I can't choose!" Elaina smiled so vastly that I thought her face may break.

"Anything monkey, but just two scoops okay?" Harper replied.

I eyed Liam, who was staring at the colorful ice creams with the same intensity as the girls. I cocked my head, seeing small traces of saliva from the corner of his mouth.

Is he drooling?

I shook my head, feeling as if the lighting in the room is playing me. I tipped the hood up to see Marisa fast asleep inside the car seat with the sucker popped in her mouth.

"He is such a cute baby."

And I exploded.

"She is cute." I smiled widely, knowing my eyes is crazy. I won't withstand people calling my baby a male.

Harper giggled awkwardly, placing a strand of hair behind her ear. "So, how do you like the job?" She brushed off the awkward tension between us.

"It's a good job."

"Did I do something to offend you?"

How dare she question whether or not she offended me?

She hooks up with my ex-husband than kindly invite me to have ice cream with her children.

She chit chat with me the whole car ride to make sure I wasn't feeling uncomfortable.

She gave me advice on how to make Marisa sleep better at night.

She even dared to offer me a water bottle earlier because I was coughing like a chicken with a rock stuck in its throat.

God! I want to hate her so bad!

But I can't! She is just so damn likable!

"No," I grumbled, drowning in self-loathing. There is no reason for me to dislike Harper even if she is Liam's lover. So far, she had been charming, and she hasn't shove their relationship in my face.

This would be so much easier if she were a complete gold-digging bitch, but now - she had to be a sweet lovely mother.

She cocks her head, an amused smile on her face. "Your facial expression said otherwise." She laughed lowly, "I think there is a misunderstanding. Liam and I aren't like what you're thinking."

"And what is it that I'm thinking that you two may not be?" I asked. "And it's not like I care. I mean, Liam and I aren't really anything for me to actuall-" I wanted to smack myself in the face for my inability to shut up.

"I don't know if you're thinking of this or not, but if you are thinking that Liam and I are lovers. We are not."

"I'm not thinking that," I lied.