LXXIII. Golden Spoon

Vivian's POV:

I sat there, besides Liam, as they carried in three bodies.

Their eyes darted towards the man beside me as if glaring would help them ease the anger.

Liam's body began to tremble, and I held his hand, as support. For the past few days, I've been hearing him practicing what to say once he meet the family.

The people around Liam had been pulling him back from meeting the family, afraid that he would go into another panic attack. Right now, they are outside.

"I-I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" Bob, who I found out to be Robert Isola spat out, "When did you actually develop emotions you, damn murderer!"

It turned out Bob, fake name, taken a job as a bus driver to monitor the streets around Vivus, knowing Liam was an investor there. Later, he took on the role as a taxi driver when Lisa told him that I no longer lived at the apartment complex. This gave him access to the community when he dropped us off.

Everything was planned in the beginning, Lisa had been on Bob's bus, telling everyone about the positions at Vivus. She wanted someone to take a high position then used a sob story to get sympathy. I happened to be the sucker. Lisa left Marisa with me, so I could feel a stronger bond with her. She was using Marisa to guilt-trip me into helping her gain access into the corporation.

Their plan changed when Cason realized that Liam and I were more than mere colleagues. They got closer to me to get closer to him.

The incident behind the restaurant with the man who was harassing me was also set up by them. They wanted to give him a warning; how they were coming for him and if they couldn't hurt him. They would hurt someone he holds dear...me.

Cason, who is Lisa's younger brother, slipped under the radar because he had a different last name as hers. He carried his mother's name as Cason Baird. He took the position as a bartender inside the company to watch Liam as he entered and exit the location.

Liam knew about the plan - everything except Cason's appearance and Marisa existence - but didn't take any action. He felt guilt...remorse.

Liam winced at his tone and his hand tighten on mine. "I-I truly did not see your daughter. It was my f-fault."

"It seemed like the law didn't end with such an obvious conclusion," Bob spoke bitterly. "They said it's our damn fault, for fucking child negligence."

He chuckled, a low stern laugh. "And to think, you all got the damn nerve to throw a fucking check at our faces? You think a fucking piece of paper will bring our daughter back? You people should rot in fucking hell!" His saliva splattered all over the table.

Bob crawled on top, but the guards pulled him back and dragged him out as he cursed Liam more.

"I-I went to the judge and-"

"And what?" Cason spoke up, "Tell him you're guilty? Then, they will slap your hands and tell you not to kill someone else again?"

"Cason," I called his name weakly.

He glared at me, "How could you sit beside a murderer?"

I felt a stinging pain inside my chest as he laughed. "Of course, it's because you're just like him. I almost forgot you grew up with a golden spoon too." He hit his head lightly, "How does it look up there? Standing above everyone else," his voice was filled with resentful sarcasm.

He kicked his chair back, placing both palms on the table. I can see the guards reaching for their guns, treating them as criminals. "I don't give a fuck if you apologize. You can do it over and over and over...again and again, but you know what?" he spoke lowly, "We're still in the wronged."