XXVI. Color Red

Liam POV:

A G E: 4

"Touch brown."

I look down at the two colors in front of me. Without control, my hand reach out and touch the card.

"Let's try this again," the woman in front of me said. "Touch brown." Immediately, she grabbed my hand, and made me touch the card in front of me. "That's brown!" she cheered.

I stared at the window behind her. It's so bright. So green.

She grabbed my train and placed it in front of me. "Good job, Liam!" she said, a bit too loud. I ignored her. I laid on the ground and began playing with my red train.

She would come every other day, saying the same thing. Then, she would go talk to my mom in the living room. Sometimes, there are more people with her. "Liam is really improving Mrs.Everhart. His color distinction and-"

"When will he talk?" mom spurted out.

I rolled my red train around.

The woman released a deep breath before looking at the man beside her. He cleared his throat before cupping his hands together. "Mrs.Everhart, children with ASD may have difficulty developing language skills and understanding what others say to them. Each case is different; hence we canno-"

"My baby is four, and he hasn't said a single word!" She looks at me. I continued rolling the trains back and forth. "I did not fund you all for inadequacy!"

"Please, Mrs.Everhart. We will fig-"

"Figure it out faster!" she shouted. When she stood up, the chair knocked over. She walked towards me and smiles, "Come here, baby," she cooed. She turned towards the sweaty people sitting on the table. "My baby better be talking by next month, or you can all see yourselves on the streets."

I roll around the big bed, playing with my red train. It's my train.

Dad walked into the room, "I heard you threaten another company," he said.

Mom was sitting near the table, smacking stuff onto her face. "They aren't helping Liam."

Dad sat beside me, messing up my hair. "How are they supposed to help him if you keep bankrupting every company who couldn't make Liam talk?"

Mom turns around, placing the bottle on the table. "It's not Liam's fault. They should hire better tutors for him."

Dad sigh and look at me. "Hey bud." He smiles, while I stare at the red train. "When are you going to stop that stubborn attitude of yours and talk so mom will stop ruining innocent people lives."

Mom sat next to me, "What if he can't talk?"

Dad exhaled, "Love, let's not do this again."

"It's just I read some articles online that says some kids with autism doesn't talk and-" she covers her mouth and begins muffling a cry. Dad stood up and sat beside her, holding her face on his shoulder.

I sat there, rolling my red train on the bed.

They do that almost every night.

When mom fell asleep, dad and I was still awake. I find it hard to sleep most nights.

He sat on the couch and placed me on his lap. When his legs began bouncing, I laughed and clapped my hands. Dad pinches my cheek, "Why can't you be normal like other kids?" He closed his eyes, "That way, your mom won't have to cry every night. That way, we don't have to avoid our friends. That way-" he heaved a breath, "What am I doing? You can't understand what I'm saying."