Chapter 2

I know it's hard to come back when there are not that many chapters! Thank you to those who have commented, added this to their reading lists, and have voted on the first chapter! I'm so excited!

- Sian

Rowan attempted to sneak back up the stairs, but the wood creaked under his weight, and his parents stopped talking immediately. Rowan's father looked around the door frame, and when he saw Rowan, the guilt took over.

"He heard everything," Michael, Rowan's father, mumbled.

Rowan's mother sucked up a breath and stormed into view. "Good," Mandy said, crossing arms firmly over her chest. "You're coming on this hunt, and that's final."

"Don't I get a say?" Rowan asked, stepping down the last step. "You know I don't want to go. Why are you forcing this?"

"Because it's in your blood."

"It's not. You hunt the supernatural. That's not in your blood. That's a choice, a choice that I'm not choosing," Rowan sighed.

"Michael, talk to him," Mandy muttered, shoving Rowan's father in front of her.

"Son, even if you don't choose this, your life will never be like everyone else's. You won't be able to live knowing that there's whole other world out there. Trust me; I've been in your situation. It doesn't work. Sooner or later, you'll get too curious. Either It'll be with help from us, or you'll do it on your own. Going on this hunt with your mother might be what you're looking for. You might love it, or you might hate it. Either way, you'll know if this life isn't for you," Michael said, remembering his own father giving him the same speech when he was younger.

Rowan glanced down, picking at his bracelet made of small shells. It had caused an obvious tan line around his wrist. "I applied to uni to have a normal life. I think it's pretty clear what I want."

Mandy shook her head in frustration. Her dark blonde hair hung around her face. "You're coming on this hunt." She stomped into the kitchen, and Michael's jaw tightened. He hated Mandy's lack of softness. He especially hated it when he saw little specks within his son, too.

"Just this once," Michael said, walking up to Rowan and patting him on the shoulder. In the last few years, Rowan grew tall. Michael knew his son had been raised to hunt from a young age. He was strong, knew how to fight, knew how to capture all kinds of supernatural beings. Rowan knew their weakness and their strengths. It would be a shame to waste his knowledge and skills. "For your mother, go on this hunt. If you still want to attend university and forget about that world after, then fine. You know if you don't do at least one hunt, she won't stop."

Rowan ran a hand over his face. "This isn't fair," he said, though he had known for years that as soon as he turned eighteen, his mother would force him. Rowan regretted not voicing his opinions sooner.

"No, but that's life." Michael squeezed his shoulder and followed Mandy into the kitchen to prepare dinner, leaving Rowan to stare emptily into the corridor.

* * * * *

When it was time for Rowan to go to bed that night, his mother stood in front of his bedroom door, refusing to let him in. "No sleep for you," she said like it was no big deal.

"Fine, I'll sleep in your room." Rowan pushed past her, but Mandy grabbed his arm.

"I hate that I have to force you, son. But you're ready to come on this hunt."

Rowan yanked his arm away and turned with a scowl. He was much taller than his mother. Rowan had seen his mother knock people twice her size to the ground with a single punch. He couldn't intimidate her. "I want to make a deal," Rowan said.