Chapter 32

Rowan had watched the clock tick the day away. He was reluctant to leave university when his lessons finished. His gut told him that Kaerius was waiting for him at the beach, so Rowan stayed in the library for a few more hours.

When it reached seven in the evening, Rowan went home because he was hungry. He walked back along the beach with his sandals in one hand and his white t-shirt in the other. He wore peach coloured board shorts and a dark green backpack hung over his shoulders, which was full of library books.

As Rowan neared his home, he started to feel a pull towards the ocean. He glanced towards the rocks and watched a head bobbing up and down in the rough water. Rowan knew it was Kaerius, and it took a lot of mental strength to keep walking towards his home and not run to the sea creature.

Deep down, Rowan knew he would forgive Kaerius eventually, but first, he wanted to make him suffer for plotting to kill him. Rowan was far from pleased. He was a little heartbroken, and he could never forgive something so serious overnight. If Kaerius were not bound to him by an invisible force that made their souls fall in love, Rowan would never speak to him again. If it were between two humans, Rowan would have called the police.

"It's me in the water," Kaerius thought. Rowan ignored him and continued to the sand dune. "I will keep apologising until you know that I mean it. Rowan. You can't ignore me forever."

"But I can damn try," Rowan muttered and climbed the dune. He felt the sun and Kaerius's eyes on his back.

"I'll annoy you until you talk to me."

Rowan kept climbing the dune until he reached the top.

"Fine. I'll get disgusting human legs and break into your house like I did last night."

Rowan turned and shielded his eyes from the sun. He stared at Kaerius, who all the other beach-goers couldn't see. Rowan shook his head and continued his journey to his house. He didn't want to give in to the bond. His soul screamed and whined for him to forgive Kaerius, but Rowan couldn't.

When he entered the house, the radio was loud, and someone was making noise in the living room. Rowan stopped at the door in time to see his mother almost breaking her back, trying to lift the coffee table. Rowan rushed over and lifted the other side.

"Oh, Rowan," Mandy said, a little out of breath and with paint smeared on her cheek. "I didn't think you were coming home."

"What are you doing?" Rowan asked. The strong smell of fresh paint was already giving him a headache.

"Isn't it obvious?"

Rowan wanted to comment on how she lacked the ability to have a normal conversation, but he was too tired to argue. "Are you bored or something?"

"Bored with the room? Yes. I need to redecorate."

Decorating was highly out of character. "Wez has made you take your holiday leave, hasn't he? How long are you not allowed to go hunting for?"

"A week," Mandy muttered. "I'm already pulling my hair out with boredom."

"You need to go on an actual holiday. You know... lie on the beach all day or have a spa week. Not rearrange the entire house." Rowan helped his mother move the heavy table in front of the window. The faint sound of the waves tingled his ears. His eyes always found their way to the ocean, even if it was just a glance.

"I need to keep myself busy," Mandy said, looking around at the progress she had made. "I should have booked myself into a training camp. My knife skills need a bit of work."

Rowan held back a sigh. His mother didn't know the meaning of the word rest. Every holiday they ever went on was somewhere that taught Rowan how to fight and hunt.