Chapter 45

If you want something new to read, I recommend checking out the profile: YourRoyalDeadness for awesome stories!!

"Fairies," Rowan said and plopped onto the sand next to Kaerius. "Have you heard of them?"

"You're not supposed to be here for another two hours," Kaerius thought, wiggling his strange human toes in the sand.

"I'm leaving early." Rowan stared at Kaerius's mouth when his lips hinted a smile.

"Good," Kaerius said out loud. The boys were still getting used to letting their feelings in, rather than blocking them out. Kaerius was a little bolder when expressing affection.

"Anyway," Rowan cleared his throat and buried his feet. The sand underneath was cold. It felt good on such a hot day. "Have you heard of fairies?"

Kaerius shook his head. "fa-rey?" he tried to repeat.

Rowan chuckled. "When I think of a fairy, I think of a tiny little human with wings. When I say tiny, I mean about the size of my hand."

Kaerius's face scrunched up like Rowan had said something utterly stupid. He shook his head and dismissed the myth. "No way," he thought.

"Why? You exist. Vampires and werewolves exist. Why can't fairies?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Apparently fairies exist, and they can do spells and stuff, and maybe they could do curses too."

"Did you find that on your... lap... top?" Kaerius asked, only just remembering what it was called.

"No. Jack told me."

"Who?" Kaerius asked out loud.

"Jack. He's in my group for uni. I was working on the project for him last night, remember?"

Kaerius nodded. "How does Jack know? Do you talk to him a lot?"

"I found out today that he's somewhat obsessed with the supernatural."

"What else do you talk about with this Jack? Does he know about me?"

Rowan tilted his head. "Are you jealous?"

"Yes," Kaerius was honest, seeing no point in lying, not when Rowan could feel his emotions.

"There's no need to be. Jack's not my type at all," Rowan chuckled. "Don't be jealous," he said, nudging Kaerius until his brows lifted from pushing deep into his eyes. "Isn't having a bond enough for you to trust me?"

Kaerius nudged Rowan back. "Yes. I'm just very aware of how good-looking you are, and how others see you too."

Rowan tried to take the compliment and not blush like crazy, but Kaerius almost smiled for the second time in five minutes. He felt the heat swarming his face. Rowan hated blushing. Instead of going a cute pink colour, deep red blotches covered his neck and cheeks and nose. He looked like he was allergic to embarrassment.

"Still," Rowan said, looking out into the horizon, hoping the breeze would cool him. "You can trust me."

"And you can trust me too." Kaerius found himself staring into Rowan's eyes. They were more vibrant than the green apple Rowan had for breakfast and the grass in Michael's garden. Rowan's eyes were untouched pools with emeralds for a floor; beautiful in the sunlight, magical in the moon's glow.

"We find fa-rey?" he asked out loud.

"The vampires have them."

"So?"