Chapter 25

Over the next two days, Kaerius spent most of his time in salt baths and bed. He would have liked to go back to the ocean for a few hours, but he was too ill to make it there. Rowan managed to stay awake for forty-eight hours, and when the mark hit, he wanted to collapse into bed. The last thing Rowan wanted was to go on a quest to make a drink that would separate a bond between his soul and a Thalassic Mortal's soul. But it had to be done.

"Are you well enough to go downstairs for breakfast?" Rowan asked, leaning against the wall.

Kaerius nodded, standing up after putting on his shoes. He inspected Rowan's face. He looked as ill as Kaerius had felt the day before. Staying awake for so long wasn't suitable for the body. "Kaerius eat human food?" he asked.

"Yes. You should be fine now to eat food." Rowan opened the door, and as they walked to the lift, he said, "Instead of saying Kaerius, say I."

"I eat human food?" Kaerius said.

"Say, should I eat human food?"

"Should I eat human food?"

Rowan smiled. "Good."

Kaerius's chest warmed because of Rowan's appraisal, but he managed to hold back a smile.

They were the only ones in the lift, so Kaerius could stare at himself in the mirror. Rowan watched as his eyes trace over himself with curiosity.

"Is it weird to see yourself in human form?" Rowan asked.

"Kaerius doesn't- I doesn't-"

"I don't," Rowan corrected him.

"I don't know Thalassic Mortal form," Kaerius said. "Not well."

"Is that because you only ever see yourself in the reflection of water?"

Kaerius nodded.

Rowan wondered if that was the reason why Thalassic mortals were such confident and proud creatures. They didn't judge or alter their appearances because they didn't know nor care about what they looked like. Rowan guessed they thought they all looked similar, based on other Thalassic Mortal's faces, and bodies, and tails.

The lift beeping sunk those thoughts to the back of Rowan's mind. He was tired and ready to eat his feelings. The breakfast room was empty, but the food was hot, and there was plenty of everything. Kaerius sat at a table while Rowan poured him a large bowl of cereal and made himself an English breakfast.

"I okay to eat?" Kaerius asked, pointing at his bowl of weird flakes and white fluids.

Rowan smiled at Kaerius's English. "Yeah, you should be fine. I gave you soya milk because I doubt your stomach would want cow's milk."

"Cow's milk?"

"It's another animal's milk."

Kaerius looked horrified, and for the first time, Rowan could see his world from an outsider's point of view. "I've just ruined milk for myself."

Kaerius arched a brow and stared at his bowl. "Weird."

Rowan ignored him and ate his breakfast.

After food, Rowan felt even more tired, but Kaerius was starting to get his strength back, and he was delighted that his stomach didn't want to throw the food back up.

The boys checked out of the hotel before it was even seven in the morning. Werewolves were early risers, and it would be easier to interact with them if many humans weren't around.

"It's about a ten-minute walk to the base of their pack. Let me know if you get tired."

"I fine," Kaerius said. He was getting used to having human legs. They felt like they were getting stronger with each step. He was still a little clumsy, but he might have been able to jog, given the chance.