Chapter 18

Rowan had the most pleasant dream that night. When his mind surfaced, he couldn't remember the content of the dream, but he felt happy. A soft smile was on his lips when he pushed his head into the pillow.

Rowan would have drifted back to sleep if he didn't feel another hot breath against his cheek. Rowan didn't have to open his eyes to remember that there was someone else in his bed. He only had to move an inch, and his body felt another body pressed against him.

Sure enough, when Rowan opened his eyes, another face was inches away from his. Kaerius was so close. A Thalassic Mortal slept by a human's side all night, and Rowan wanted to freak out and pin himself to the other end of the room. As much as he would've liked to coward away, his body refused to move. Rowan was warm, comfortable, and felt like he had the best sleep of his life.

He knew he shouldn't feel that way. His soul craved for another with so much intensity, they had to be together to sleep. To humans, soulmate bonds were unnatural. Rowan didn't like needing someone. It felt as though his independence was leaving him like blood gushing from a deep wound. Surely, Kaerius felt the same.

Rowan couldn't help himself as he stared at Kaerius's face. Now that he was very close, he could stare at his thick lashes and the black rim around his eyes. The two lines that were usually in between Kaerius's eyebrows had relaxed. The Thalassic Mortal was vulnerable and allowed himself to fall into that state because he couldn't put up with the pain. Rowan was glad that Kaerius got the rest he clearly needed.

Rowan's gaze travelled down Kaerius nose, then to his cheeks. His skin looked perfect and smooth. Not a single pimple threatened to break above the surface, unlike Rowan's face. Rowan assumed it was the result of living underwater for all of his life or the fact that Kaerius's skin was different from a human's despite it looking the same.

Rowan's eyes were avoiding looking at Kaerius's mouth, but they settled there eventually. He studied the sea creature's lips. The thought that hadn't yet crossed his mind was suddenly all he could think about. Rowan felt his cheeks heat up as he wondered what it would feel like to kiss him. Kaerius's lips looked like human lips, but would they feel the same?

Rowan quietly cleared his throat and moved his head back a few inches. Regardless of the noise being soft, it had separated Kaerius from his dreams, and he started to wake. Rowan wanted to hold his breath when the Thalassic Mortal moved against him.

Kaerius, before he even opened his eyes, noticed how sore his throat felt. He moved his fingers and noticed how dry and tight his skin felt. Panic zapped through him. Had he washed up on shore? His eyes ripped open. Kaerius expected to see sand all around him. Instead, his eyes met bright green ones who studied him with caution.

Rowan stayed silent as the sea creature's eyes darted around the room. Seeing the purple colour up close was spectacular. Kaerius's eyes were a darker purple around the pupils that blended into a beautiful lilac. They were as vibrant as being in front of a field full of lavender.

Kaerius's gaze fell on Rowan, and his heart loved how close they were. Kaerius's brain however, didn't. He shot up and crawled to the end of the bed. He held his throat and gripped his legs. "Need ocean," he said, and his deep voice sounded raspy. "Need water."

Rowan then noticed Kaerius's teeth and how they were no longer sharp and pointy. They looked just like human teeth. The sea creature's gills had closed, resembling three small scars on either side of his neck.

The sun was only just starting to rise. Rowan checked the time, and it was 5:30 in the morning. "My mum will be downstairs," he said quietly. "She might be able to see you, so I'll have to sneak you out of the house."