Chapter 19

Rowan didn't go back home to sleep. He went home to change his clothes, so he could start his journey to his dad's house. Rowan's dad hadn't given him a verbal reason for kicking him out, and Rowan wanted to hear him say it, even when he knew what he was going to say.

Rowan knew his dad kicked him out because he was bonded to a sea mortal. Or maybe, it was because that sea mortal was another man. Either way, one of them fuelled his father's anger enough to kick his own flesh and blood into the wind and watch with no emotion as it carried him away to the darkest corners of his mind. Rowan was a mess when he left. His father did nothing to make sure he was okay.

When Rowan reached his dad's house, it was only 6:15 in the morning. He checked under the pottery turtle, but the spare key wasn't there. Rowan tried not to feel too upset about it. He sat on the steps outside the front door, knowing his dad would leave the house at some point. Then he would have to face him like an adult.

Rowan spent the time rubbing his chest and adjusting his position on the step. He was in pain. His headache pounded, as did his heart from the nerves. His nose started to block up, and his throat felt like he had swallowed a cheese grater. The symptoms of being away from Kaerius was developing a sickness. Rowan hated it, and he hadn't even thought about university. The guilt from his lack of attendance was added stress he didn't need.

It was almost 8am when the front door opened, and Rowan almost tripped on the step when he shot to his feet. "Dad!" he shouted, and Michael froze. "Please let me talk to you!"

Michael, like he was jumping away from a poisonous snake, flew back into the house and tried to slam the door, but Rowan wedged his foot in the way. It hurt, though Rowan was desperate.

"Please! Dad, you haven't-"

"Rowan, you can't be here," Michael said quickly. When Rowan didn't move, and his face changed as if Michael had slapped him, he tried to shut the door again. "If you go now, text me when you get home, and I'll phone you. Okay?"

"No," Rowan frowned. "I'm right here! Let's just talk now."

"I can't Rowan-"

"Why not?" Rowan pushed the door, and his father stumbled back.

"Rowan, just-"

"No!" Rowan yelled. "I want an explanation! Just tell me why-"

"You'll kill me!" Michael roared, and the anger on Rowan's face turned to shock exceptionally fast.

"What?" Rowan whispered.

"If I'm near a Thalassic Mortal, I'll die Rowan. You're bonded to one. I can't take any chances," Michael said, adopting a calmer tone because his words hadn't been spoken aloud for years.

Rowan was so astonished, he stepped back. "I- I don't understand."

"I'll help you to understand, but over the phone. You need to leave now, son."

"But-"

"Rowan, I love you. I'm not abandoning you because I would never do that. I'm sorry that I kicked you out yesterday; I didn't expect you to say what you did," Michael said, also distancing himself like Rowan was the fire, and he was an aerosol can. "Please go, and phone me when we get home. We'll talk then."

Rowan edged away until his shoulder hit the doorframe. "Okay," he breathed. "Okay." Rowan then turned and ran away from his dad's house for the second time in two days. Only now, he wasn't so heartbroken, but he was thoroughly confused.

* * * * *

Kaerius swam close to the ocean floor, getting moodier and moodier the further away from the land he travelled. Kaerius used to love getting so deep that humans couldn't even get to them. Now, all he really wanted was to surface and see Rowan smiling at him from the rocks.