Chapter 71

"Kaerius," Rowan thought, staring in the direction of the island, wondering if his grandparents could see them standing on the edge of the rocks, looking so helpless. "What do you think we should do?"

"I think we should ditch the werewolves and fight in the water. After all, it's a battle between Thalassic Mortals and humans."

"But the werewolves offered to help. They want to help their friends."

"How would they get to the island without making it so obvious?"

Rowan couldn't answer. He eyed his parents, wondering what they would do. Rowan could ask them, but at that moment, he had the opportunity to end the fighting and to give up. He didn't want to lose anyone else, though Volher believed in him. Rowan wanted peace. How could he achieve peace if he stopped trying? "The hunters, they're on the island," he found himself saying before he could properly think.

"Excellent They have boats, I assume," Braiken said, wiping the sweat from his forehead, despite the night feeling so cold. Fighting vampires was no lazy task.

"Speeds boats. We'll only keep up if we're in the water." Rowan made eye contact with his mother, then his father. They seemed to be waiting for him to make the choices. Rowan wasn't comfortable playing with the lives around him. "What does everyone think we should do?"

"Well, the werewolves can't swim. The hunters will spot them miles off. They're probably watching us right now. Surely, they'll know we're coming for them if we all grab boats and jump into the ocean. The hunters will be gone before we get there, but we can't just let the Thalassic Mortals deal with them," Jack said with a frown, the kind he showed when he was deep into his studies.

Everyone suddenly started talking all at once, and Rowan's head darted from face to face, trying to keep up with the discussions. His mother wanted to leave it and enjoy not being cursed. She said her brother would have wanted them to move on. His dad disagreed. Michael wanted to fight for the peace and Braiken agreed, so did Jenya. Jack wasn't sure and sided with his dad and his soulmate. Rowan soon stopped listening and tried to think of his own plan.

"This fight could all be for nothing if we all die," Mandy said, shivering in the cold. "I want the revenge, but I don't want to see anyone else get hurt-"

"They tricked us," Rowan interrupted. "I think it's our turn to trick them." Everyone fell silent. "They'll be watching us somehow, but I doubt they'll know what's being said. Let's look confused and look like we're giving up. We'll say goodbye to each other and go our separate ways. Thalassic Mortals will go in the ocean, and the werewolves will go home, or it'll look like we've done that." Rowan looked around at the confused faces. "Let them think they've gotten away with it. Then when they start to move from the island, we'll stop them."

"What's stopping them from getting in their speedboats and just driving away until we get tired?" Braiken asked.

"I'm sure the Thalassic Mortals can sabotage the boats somehow. We'll also need Jack." Rowan patted Jack's shoulder. "You successfully lifted one of the most stubborn curses that has probably ever been made. My dad's parents might use their fairy to their advantage. We could use you and Braiken."

The flicker of Jack's lips told Rowan that he was more than happy with the opportunity to use his fairy magic. "Have werewolves on boats too, so if the hunters try to escape, the werewolves can follow them, and I'm pretty sure the hunters don't stand a chance against those... beasts." Jack avoided Jenya's eyes. "Sorry but you guys are pretty horrifying when you've shifted."

Jenya smiled proudly.

"The rest of us will get in the water then," Mandy said, staring down at the sea twinkling from the moon. "Rowan, I need to talk to you."