Chapter 23

On my twitter, I often say when the next chapter will be out a few hours before, so if you want to be kept in the loop of Restless Waves, search for: @SianaghG

- Sian ;)

"Let's do it!" Rowan said excitedly. "How do we do it?"

Kaerius swam closer to him and gripped the rocks. The waves were still ploughing into him. "We go on quest."

"Quest?" Rowan asked, looking to Jaiker for help.

"Quest," Jaiker said quietly, not taking his eyes off Kaerius. "The goddess chose Rowan," he said in the Thalassic tongue. "I can't help but think that you'll get punished if you change fate."

"Rather that than live with a human for the rest of my life."

"You're not this horrible, Kaerius. If you go through with this, I hope Rowan's death will haunt you forever. Better yet, I hope Rowan haunts you forever and makes your life miserable." Jaiker ducked under the waves, swimming away to find his son.

Kaerius moodily clung to the rocks. He couldn't look at Rowan. The guilt told him that it was a wrong thing to do, but Kaerius chose not to pay attention. "Carry Kaerius to land," he demanded.

Rowan slowly edged towards him, through the water that was only getting more aggressive. When he reached down to slot an arm under the sea creature's armpits, a wave seeped up the rock like the sea exhaled harshly. The wave crashed into them both and Rowan slipped. He fell to his knees and headbutted the side of Kaerius's face.

Kaerius clung onto the rock harder to stop the water from dragging them away.

Their faces were the closest they had ever been. In among the panic of standing waist deep in rough waters, Rowan could only really focus on Kaerius, and how cold his skin felt against his forehead, and how close their mouths were, and how his soul flipped around at the contact.

"I scratch you," Kaerius warned with eyes that latched onto Rowan's mouth.

Rowan pulled back and stood up, lifting Kaerius up with him. This time, Kaerius coiled arms around Rowan's shoulders and wrapped his tail around the rest of his body. Kaerius gripped tight and felt his back slam into the rocks when another wave pounded them.

Rowan sieved through the water, getting hit with a few more waves before he was able to scramble further up the rocks until the waves couldn't reach them.

"So, we're going on a quest?" Rowan asked. Kaerius was wrapped around him so securely, Rowan's arms were free to rest by his side. He walked across the sand, avoiding making eye contact with people. They couldn't see Kaerius. He hoped they couldn't see him. "To get what?"

"Need more English. Cannot explain," Kaerius grumbled. "We make mixture. I drink."

"And that will separate our souls?"

Kaerius nodded against his shoulder. The guilt never left him, and it hurt a little more.

"I guess I'll have to trust you. I wish we could understand each other better. It would make all of this so much easier." Rowan entered his house and stood by the door, listening for any sounds. There were still no signs that his mother was home. He assumed she had either gone to his father, gone on a hunt, or gone to clear her head.

"How long will this quest take?" Rowan asked when he reached his bedroom. Kaerius uncoiled his tail and flopped back on the bed. His nostrils were filled with Rowan's smell, and it fluttered his heart.

"Days. Week. Kaerius unsure."

Rowan started rummaging through his drawers. "If you're coming and we'll be on land, you have to wear some proper clothes."