Chapter 43

Rowan and Kaerius returned to the cliffs shortly after Kaerius filled Rowan in on what was said between him, Jaiker, and Laiken.

"Do you think the werewolves are up to something? They're meant to be the most peaceful supernatural creatures," Rowan said as they sat on the cliffs, trying to dry off, so he could get his legs back. Rowan was a little fed up of not being able to walk and feel the grass between his toes.

"They did lie and say that there was a way to end the bond. They did that to get my poison," Kaerius thought with his purple eyes on Rowan's tail.

"Unless they didn't lie and there is a way to end the bond." Their eyes connected. "I guess that doesn't matter anymore. We're not trying to break the bond."

Kaerius patted Rowan's tail with a webbed hand. "No," he said out loud. "Not ever."

Rowan smiled when a fuzz of warmth erupted in his chest like the air he breathed turned hot in his lungs. "I'm glad."

"Me too." Kaerius nudged him to hide a soppy smile. When Rowan's legs returned, Kaerius watched him stretch them and swing them as they dangled over the side of the cliff. His eyes trailed up Rowan's thighs and settled on something that made him chew the inside of his lip to keep down certain emotions.

Rowan felt Kaerius's eyes on him and was surprised by how he stared so boldly. Kaerius was getting a good look at Rowan's body without being shy about it. In a way, Kaerius's shameless eyes made Rowan feel alive and very confident.

Kaerius asked, "Do I make you uncomfortable when I look?" Rowan shook his head to say no, but Kaerius raised a brow. "Your cheeks say otherwise." The blood had rushed to Rowan's face.

"I'm just not used to being looked at like that." Rowan cleared his throat and hurried to the bench to slip his shorts and a t-shirt back on.

Kaerius put shorts on when he had legs too, and they didn't have to wait a minute longer until Rowan's dad sped down the dirt road.

"Get in," Michael said, and the boys climbed in the back. He drove at a fast speed until they were back on a busy road.

"What did mum say?" Rowan asked after helping Kaerius put on a seat belt.

"Well, I think she plans on house arresting you. I was staring at spears when I went in, so there's no way I'm letting you go back home. I said I might let your mother know if you turn up at mine, but that depends if you want to let her know. I wouldn't let her in if she brings hunters, and she knows that."

"I don't think I can sit and wait for her to get impatient, but I don't want to speak to her either," Rowan admitted, wanting to fidget with his shell bracelet, but he had already broken it. Instead, he traced the tan line it left behind.

When they were safely inside Michael's house, Kaerius asked about the werewolves. "Wolf bad?" he asked Michael.

"What?"

"Wolf... bad?" Kaerius looked at Rowan for help.

"He's asking if the werewolves are bad because they think some big fight is going to happen and tricked Kaerius into giving them his poison."

"They're not known for being devious or troubling. Maybe the werewolves wanted it for protection," Michael shrugged. "But why do they think a fight is coming? And between who?"

"The humans, I guess. They knew I was a Solar when we went to them for help. Maybe they assumed it was a trap and mum would come after them."

Michael said no more on the werewolves. He believed it wasn't their issue. "So, about your mother," he said when the boys flopped onto the couch. "Shall I tell her you're here?"