Chapter 66

Rowan took Kaerius to a cafe the next day, to have a break from their training. Rowan had to try and teach Kaerius how to use his pocket-knife, which resulted in Kaerius cutting himself by accident quite a few times.

Kaerius picked irritably at the plasters on his fingers while they waited for the bill.

Jaiker and Laiken watched everyone and touched everything with broad smiles. Laiken was busy tracing his fingers along a napkin while Jaiker prodded the cushion on the back of his chair.

"Isn't it fascinating that you can let go of things and they don't float away from you," Laiken said in the Thalassic Tongue, picking up his fork and dropping it onto the table.

Rowan jumped, and Kaerius confiscated his cutlery.

"We should get back to the werewolf pack. Volher should be back by now," Rowan said, snapping out of his thoughts about Wez. Volher and a few other vampires intentionally snuck around Michael's parent's boat. They made sure that Hunter's saw them lurking by, then left. Rowan knew that the hunters would stay up for a few nights, checking on Volher and his clang. Volher would go back to his 'normal' life and pretend he wasn't up to anything suspicious. Hopefully, the hunters would then sleep after a few days when nothing happened, and Rowan and his family could pounce.

Kaerius went with Rowan to the counter when the bill took too long. He watched Rowan hand over the same type of paper stuff that he had seen Rowan use before. Kaerius watched with fascination. He took a coin from Rowan's hand when he got change.

"Gold? Treasure?" Kaerius asked and noticed the cashier looking at him oddly. "What?"

Rowan pulled him away. "You know, the further from the sea you get, the more the humans notice you're there."

"They stare," Kaerius said, looking around.

"Not many people have eyes like you," Rowan admitted, looking at the vibrant purple around his pupils, and the black line around his eyes, making Kaerius look like he wore eyeliner. Rowan took the pound coin from Kaerius's hand. "This isn't gold," he chuckled and grabbed his elbow, guiding him back through the tables and to Jaiker and Laiken who waited by the door.

When they returned to the werewolf base, a blade impaled the door inches above Rowan's head. Mandy gasped loudly. "Michael!" she scolded.

"What? You threw it!" Michael exclaimed.

Rowan yanked the blade from the door. "Is training not going well, mum? You used to be so good at this."

"I did?"

"You taught me everything I know." Rowan picked up the long pole he used when fighting, and Kaerius nodded in agreement.

"Rowan kick ass."

Rowan scoffed at Kaerius. "Where did you learn that phrase?"

"On moving screen."

"It's called a television," Rowan said and lightly jabbed him in the shoulder with his stick. "You know this."

"Tel-o-vishon," Kaerius repeated. He grabbed the stick when Rowan tried to jab him again and yanked him close. "No hit soulmate."

"Soulmate privileges, okay," Rowan said with a grin and blocked his body against him by holding the stick to Kaerius's back. Now that their bond was fully complete, sometimes, standing close wasn't enough. The boys kissed which greatly satisfied them.

They kissed until Michael took the stick without Rowan noticing and hitting his leg behind his knee. Rowan would have fallen if Kaerius wasn't right in front of him.