JULIE

Grayson Bailey

      "You're not enough for me, Sean" my mother scolded him, throwing her things in boxes, shoving past me with a mean look on her gorgeous face. "Move, Grayson!" She yelled, my bottom lip quivered, clueless of what was happening.

       "Julie! Walk out that door and you're not coming back!" My father screams, kicking one of the boxes. "Have fun raising your second little runt of a child!" She yells, stacking the boxes in her arms and walking out of the front door, slamming it shut.

        And that was the last of my mother I had ever seen, my last memory, my last caring thought for her. Ethan shifted slightly, not waking up as I got onto the interstate, I decided to take us on a little road trip, my mother reached out and invited me to her new home, with her new family.

        It was a terrible idea that I talked Ethan into, but I was lucky he was so caring or else he probably just would of ditched me. I turned up the radio slightly, the weather outside was miserable, it was rainy and depressing but all I needed was Ethan's presence to make me feel okay.

        I suddenly got deep into my thoughts while driving, about an hour left. What if my mom didn't change? She obviously had no hesitation leaving me, she probably doesn't even care that I spent my teenage years without her.

        I came out without her, I had my first boyfriend without her, I got heart broken without her, I got accepted into a really cool art program in high school without her. I didn't need her, she left, that was her choice. I was only going to see if she changed, to ask her why I wasn't enough for her to stay. She couldn't even co-parent me, I never needed her though, I had my dad and my brother to take care of me and now I have Ethan.

          This was her choice, so everything that I have to say is what she deserves. And I can't wait until she says one wrong thing and I snap, the anger has really built up over the years.

          Apparently I have a step brother named Dustin, and a half sister named Addison, which was not the prettiest name but whatever. My mother's new husband is called Robert, already sounds like a dead beat dad but couldn't be worse than my mom.

         I saw the exit 361 sign pop up and I switched lanes, getting off as safely as possible. Almost immediately there were huge buildings welcoming me into the city. I drove around for a bit more seeing all the big stores, I am definitely spoiling Ethan here before we leave.

          After making a few wrong turns I finally pull into a gated community, over seeing the huge mansions in front of my Ford. I nudged Ethan with my elbow, letting him know we were here, he jumped slightly, rubbing his tired weary eyes,

            The gates opened after I typed in the four digit pin; 1216, I pressed on the gas pedal, rolling into the wealth. Almost immediately I can already see the house at the end of the street, it was the biggest one here as far as I could tell, "I feel like we're about to meet the most spoiled ungrateful kids on this scum ass earth" I mumble making Ethan scoff, "this earth isn't scum, it's the people on it" He says in a sassy tone, trying to lighten the mood.

       I glare at him, pulling into the drive way and turning off my car. I lean back in the seat, a stressful sigh leaving my body, "it's gonna be okay" Ethan rubs my thigh and I smile small at him, grabbing his hand and kissing the back of it, holding it against my face for comfort. I close my eyes briefly, not ready for what was about to happen, my body relaxed under Ethan's touch, "you ready?" Ethan asks.

        I don't answer, opening my door and getting out, Ethan follows quickly as I lock the car. As we walked up the stone pathway the huge front door opened revealing a slightly older version of my mother than I remembered, "Grayson!" She yells, running towards me, oh no, she pulls me into a tight hug as I stand there with my arms by my side.