6. I'm fine

December 20 , 2015

December 20 , 2015.
10:40pm.

• • •

"We're switching stations I know it's been two weeks but I'm fine baby

"We're switching stations I know it's been two weeks but I'm fine baby." Alani smiled at Cedrick through video chat that her sergeant had let her use his phone for. "Big baby, Stop crying. Alondra did this too." She laughed.

Cedrick sucked his teeth. "Ain't nobody crying."

"I don't have long, I love you and you gone bring home that win tomorrow right? This fight determines if you're going to be champ!" She said excited.

"I got you, you just motivated me baby. Damn, you look good." He sighed. "I miss you."

"You better, and I miss you more handsome. Promise me you'll be okay and try to rest." She looked over him and noticed how tired he looked, and how he yawned every two minutes. "I'm fine, so you need to be fine too okay?"

"I promise, I just couldn't sleep without knowing if you were okay." He admitted. "Not even holding your pillow would work, but I'm going to win tonight and get some sleep for you baby." He smiled.

"I love you." She smiled and put two fingers to her lips and kissed them.

Cedrick kissed his index finger. "I love you more one." They pressed their fingers on their hearts. "Always right?" He asked.

"And forever." She smiled before the call disconnected. Letting a tear fall she wiped it quickly and gave the sergeant back his phone.

The last two weeks were harder then she expected it to be, she'd seen many people be killed right in front of her and it scared her that the people she trained with were dropping like flies. She had never been to war before and the amount of people that she had to kill wasn't something she was up for. She'd only killed one person before she stepped out onto the field; and that person was their foster dad she had found on top of her sister at only thirteen years old taking her innocence. Alani couldn't stand to hear her sisters screams for her and the sweat dripping off of his head mixing in with her sisters tears, so that night she'd took the family gun and shot him right in the chest.

That night was the last family they'd been too. Alani took her sister and they ran. Ran away from it all, and stayed in shelters up until she was old enough to work and get them a small two bedroom apartment. Lucky enough she was smart enough to take the gun and they weren't the only kids staying there, and a boy that was like their brother had took the blame for them but without the murder weapon and him being so young they couldn't hold him on anything.

Hearing gun shots Alani jumped and grabbed her gun. "Jones! Out back!" Sergeant called out. "We're under attack! Suit up!" He yelled and she and her battles rushed to get properly geared and out back to set up.

Putting on her night vision goggles she stepped outside carefully, and shot the man that had tried to creep inside. She swallowed hard and kept walking, seeing her battle down she dropped to her side to see where she was hit at. "Come on." Alani held back her tears dragging her to her feet making sure to keep her.

Walking and dragging her she listened to the gunshots surround her. Her mind was racing and not focusing on her surroundings how she should have been she didn't see the man in the bush she had walked by and she'd walked right into his trap. Feeling a sharp pain he had injected a needle into her leg, turning around she shot him in the head before he could pull his gun.

"Jones... you have to let me go." Walker told her feeling herself grow weak. "Y-you have to go back." She stumbled making them both fall.

Alani blinked her eyes seeing Alexis sitting in the middle of the woods. "Alexis?" She watched as Cedrick went to pick up their eight month old healthy babygirl.

"It's not them, you're drugged." Walker tried to grab for Alani who had dropped her gun and took her helmet off to walk to the trap that was set up. She didn't know she was hallucinating, all she knew what's that was her husband and child she was seeing. "Jones! Jones!" Walker tried to crawl to her and stop her, her walkie was shot and broke as well as her being shot in the chest.

"Alexis- Cedrick?" Alani cried. "Oh god, I am so sorry I let you down." She spoke to Alexis. "I'm so sorry I couldn't carry you full term, I'm so sorry I disappointed daddy to think he'd finally have a child." She sobbed. "Oh Cedrick, I wish that I was good enough for you, you say you love me but I know you hate me. I hate myself." She wiped her eyes and stepped right into the bear trap that clamped her ankle.

Letting out an ear piercing scream she opened her eyes, falling to the ground and her daughter was gone. "ALEXIS! Alexis!" She cried out frantically looking for her daughter. He chest heaved up and down as she looked around. "Baby come back, Cedrick?"

"Jones!" Sergeant called out and rushed to her, and stepped on a landmine. He heard the click and stopped in his tracks, knowing if he moved his foot it would blow. "Shit! They've took all our men! Jones can you hear me?" He yelled out to her seeing Alani had started to throw up and shake as if she was having a attack.

"I just want my family." She cried out. Seeing the Sergeants body drop, the last thing she saw was two explosions before she was blew back with the trap still clamped onto her ankle.

_____