Five: Love me

Brannon Begum wandered down the corridor on his way to lunch accompanied by Kyle, Isaac and Eddie. The four of them were all on the football team as well as close friends. Kyle was going on about how he was going to definitely sleep with Evelina at the party tomorrow and how he was definitely going to get so wasted he wouldn't even remember his own name. Bran sarcastically rolled his eyes at Kyle and gave him a light push with his elbow. Bran actually hated when Kyle talked about girls as if they would just fall at his feet.

"I'm just too good to resist!" Kyle chuckled and nodded to some girls who were looking at them.

Isaac laughed and pushed Kyle to the side. "They're obviously looking at me!" He laughed and waved to the girls. The girls rolled their eyes and giggled as Isaac smiled at them.

"Idiot..." Eddie mumbled. "They're obviously looking at Bran..."

Bran looked at Eddie and snorted at the comment. Of course, Bran knew that they'd been looking at him. He was basically eye candy according to most of his friends. Bran was pretty easy to annoy, especially when he was hungry... and Bran was really hungry. He gave Eddie a passive-aggressive smile and bit his lip. Frustrating couldn't break his act.

The cafeteria was full of people. Eddie usually got food for him so Bran just walked off to their table. The cafeteria had a window wall facing the corridor and Bran's table was right in the corner next to that window. He looked at the people walking around behind the glass. He didn't know their names. He hadn't seen most of their faces before. They all moved differently. Bran watched as a tall girl walked past the window. Her legs were long and she walked in a droopy way, back curled slightly forward. She looked gloomy with stripy dark hair and black lipstick. The girl disappeared from Bran's sight and he looked for a new person to analyse. A group of girls walked by the window. Their steps were jumpy and excited. Perhaps they were going to the party tomorrow. Bran found the population of the school pretty boring. Most people weren't interesting at all. Just as Bran was about it stop spying on his fellow students he spotted the white-haired boy wandering down the corridor. Bran couldn't remember his name but he recognised the boy as the person he'd tripped over yesterday. He didn't exactly care about how he was doing. After all, he said he was fine.

Louis Carter stroke his stitches over his sleeve. He hadn't eaten since breakfast yesterday and not even painkillers could help his headache anymore. His eyes flickered and twitched with every step he took. The lights were getting dim in front of him. He needed food. Louis stumbled into the cafeteria and bought himself a pasta dish. Food wasn't allowed anywhere outside of the cafeteria which meant that if Louis wanted to eat, he'd have to do it surrounded by people who thought ill of him. He sat down at a long table. A few people were already sitting by it but Louis didn't exactly care. The people looked at him in annoyance and groaned.

"Out of all the other tables..." One of them mumbled, obviously loud enough so that Louis would hear it.

Louis didn't have the energy to continue listening. If he heard another word about him he'd probably faint of exhaustion. Instead, he munched on his pasta. He looked down at his legs as he chewed. The chewing didn't feel like it usually did and the nausea crawled up his throat. He hadn't paid attention to the ingredients in the pizza and there was definitely meat in his mouth. He retched and threw a hand over his mouth. He hadn't eaten meat for the last twelve years and he'd forgotten how rough it was to chew and how dry and plain it tasted. Louis stood up in his trembling legs and staggered to the trash can. He dropped the pasta dish into the bin and leaned against the wall as he felt the nausea getting worse. The meat reminded him of his death. Cold, limp rag-dolled bodies, fresh after death.

Louis still needed food and quickly walked away to get something he could actually eat. This time he made sure to read the ingredients and made sure that it was vegan. He went back to his seat and sat down with the new food. Any other day and Louis would've probably just given up on eating, but not today. For some reason, he felt compelled to finish his meal and started shovelling food into his mouth. This one was also a pasta dish but this time it was bean pasta and spinach sauce instead of regular pasta and a cheesy ham sauce. Louis shivered as he thought of the first dish. The tiny chewy cubes of meat in the thick cheesy sauce. No thank you. Louis couldn't stand the thought of eating something with a face and a mother and a dad and feelings and oh god he couldn't stand the thought of that poor creature dying for someone else's enjoyment. It didn't even taste that good. The school cafeteria actually had pretty good quality food. It didn't taste bad at all. Louis just couldn't stand meat or animal produced food. It all tasted metallic and bland to him. He ate his food and watched the gloomy weather. The sun had been shining this morning but now the rain was pouring down.