Forty-one: Yes, master

Bran lovingly wrapped his arms around Louis as he got to school. It was the end of March and the weather was still awfully cold, even for Maine. Ever since the incident after the football game, Bran had been acting strange. He wouldn't acknowledge what happened, he wouldn't talk about his injury. The slim scar was the only remaining evidence of what happened that night.

What he once thought was love was now obviously just an obsession that had gone too far. Louis, who dreamed of Brannon Begum, the beautiful gentleman with the gorgeous eyes and the perfect body. He hadn't been dreaming of Brannon Begum, the dominant, intimidating, controlling tyrant he ended up with.

Graduation was only a bit more than two months away. Louis would be going to a respected school with a scholarship. He was one step closer to becoming the book publisher he wanted to be as a kid. A silly ambition, but it was Louis' ambition and it was good enough for him. Bran would be going to some football university. They'd be far away from each other. The thought of being set free gave Louis hope. Finally, he'd be free from the iron grip Bran had on him. The only thing was, Louis hadn't yet told Bran what school he'd be going to. Bran had gotten his acceptance letters rather quickly since multiple schools desperately wanted him. Louis had only received one acceptance letter. Luckily, it was the school he was aiming for. The school of his dreams. But Bran didn't know that yet.

Every time Bran asked about it, Louis would lie and tell him that he hadn't gotten any letters. he was afraid that Bran would be angry with him if he found out just how far away he'd be.

"Well, where did you apply?" Bran asked one day in late March. Louis hesitated.

"GWU... Emerson... Fordham... Pace..." He mumbled shyly.

"You think you'll get in?"

"I do..." Louis mumbled. "I've got straight A's..." In fact, Louis had more than straight A's. He had honours in all his classes, IBs and APs, the teachers' good word. Louis was the model student and also the most messed up one. Ever since the death of his parents, all Louis had done was work and study. It wasn't strange that he never had time to eat or do anything hobby related. Before Bran came into the picture, Louis Carter always had his nose in a book, head in the clouds repeating all the knowledge until he knew it like the back of his hand. The only problem was that Louis couldn't verbally express that knowledge. The words he used to explain them had to be on paper. The quiet ones think the loudest, that's what his parents used to tell him.

Bran was going to Louisiana for college. He had gotten scholarship offers from all over the country, but he chose the University of Notre Dame. UND. While Bran would be in Louisiana playing football, Louis would be at the George Washington University in Maryland with a full-ride scholarship. 'After the rain, a rainbow will appear, so live through the bad times and you'll be rewarded with good ones.' His father was right. He was always right. All the work he put in for his perfect GPA and hard-earned money, finally paying off. The world was showing him that he wasn't alone. Like his father once said.

「神々あなたを守っている」He'd say. 「Kamigami anata o mamotte iru」

"Kamigami anata o mamotte iru..." Louis whispered fondly to himself.

"The what now?" Bran scoffed. "What was that? Gibberish or Chinese?" Louis would have laughed if it weren't for the fact that Bran had just insulted his father's words. Words that Louis held close to his heart. To Bran, it probably sounded like gibberish, but to Louis, it was his parents' language, the language they hadn't fully taught him. He only understood it, he wasn't fluent when it came to speaking. Their mom only spoke English with them but their dad often switched between English and Japanese since he found the English language clumsy and uncoordinated.