Twelve: Carry what's yours

Bran carried Louis on his back towards the stairs.

"Good morning master, you're up early!" A neatly dressed young woman said and gave Bran a nod. "Are you headed off to school already?" She had a British accent and was dressed in the twentieth century inspired maid uniform.

"Good morning Greta!" Bran said and smiled. "No, I'm just getting breakfast with Louis here..." Bran said and turned around to show Louis on his back. Greta looked surprised but she quickly smiled at Louis.

"I can make you something if you'd like, the cook isn't in yet so I could gladly make you breakfast!"

"I usually just have cereal..." Bran chuckled. "What about you, Louis?"

"I'm..." Louis stuttered and pressed his face against Brans back. "I'm vegan..." He mumbled.

"Would you like me to make you some potato hash browns and some tea?"

"Actually that sounds really good, can I have some too?" Bran said and nudged at Louis. "Do you want that?" Louis shyly nodded against Greta smiled brightly.

"I will see to you in the dining room then!" She smiled and walked up the stairs.

"She doesn't bite!" Bran snickered and turned his head to Louis.

"Was that your sister?"

"No, she works here..."

Louis tensed up. "You didn't tell me you had maids..." Louis whispered.

"Well she's actually in charge of all the maids but sure... I guess I forgot to tell you, sorry!"

"This is a mansion... isn't it?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I've never been in one before..." Louis stuttered.

"Well... it's pretty much like any other house except for being a bit like a hotel I guess... we're all equals here. Some people just happen to work here too..."

"I knew you were rich but I never imagined this..." Louis stuttered. "I can walk by myself..."

"Nah let me carry you!" Bran laughed and pushed Louis further up his back. "You're hurt..."

Bran and Louis sat facing each other at a large table. His parents weren't awake yet and it was just the two of them. Louis poked around in his food and slowly took small bites. His stomach was still hurting from the meal he had the night before and he didn't want to risk throwing up if he ate too fast. Bran happily shovelled food into his mouth. Everything seemed so easy for Bran. Everyone around him wanted to make him as happy as possible. Louis took another bite and slowly sipped his tea.

"You're doing great, okay?" Bran said and smiled.

"Why'd you bring me here?" Louis mumbled.

"Cause you were clinging to life like a child holding onto its mother," Bran said. He wasn't smiling any more, just looking at Louis with a serious expression. "Why are you starving yourself?"

Louis' heart skipped a beat and he nearly choked on his tea. He looked up at Bran with fear in his eyes. "I..."

"Do you want to die?"

"I... uh..."

"Cause if you want to die then why are you wasting your time being alive? Just kill yourself if you want to die it's not that hard."

"Stop..." Louis whimpered.

"Then look at me and tell me why you're hurting yourself."

Louis raised his head as the tears ran down his face. Bran still looked serious and cold. "Everything would be easier for everyone if I wasn't around..." Louis whispered.