Twenty: Property

Oscar stayed gloomy on his bed. Aching everywhere. He wasn't upset because of his injuries. He was upset because of his actions. The very nature of his behaviour made him cringe and he turned restlessly in the bed. He turned even though it hurt to move. Nothing was comfortable, he couldn't sleep, couldn't breathe without aching. Thankfully his rib cage was only a bit touched up and no ribs were actually broken. The only thing that was broken was his left hand and his face was pretty wrecked. On top of all that he had a thundering headache stretching from temple to temple.

His phone vibrated by his bedside table, irritatingly loud and disgustingly persistent. After nearly 5 minutes of constant notifications, Oscar finally reached for the phone and glared at the screen. Hundreds of texts lit up the screen, all of them frantic with lots of exclamation marks. At first, Oscar groaned, someone had probably just invited everyone to a party or revealed some huge thing. Either way, Oscar didn't care. At least not until he saw Louis' name flash over the screen. That caught his attention and he unlocked the phone as quickly as he could. Oscar wasn't sure whose message he read. It might've been multiple people. Instead, he just gathered the information from the spam of texts.

They found Louis Carter unconscious behind the school gym! He's not too badly injured and it's not self-inflicted so they're looking for the person responsible...

The police just got here, they arrested someone but no one is sure who!

People are saying it's Kyle Harley...

Dude you should be here we just got the rest of the day off because of some police investigation!!!

Oscar threw his phone onto the couch on the other side of the room. His heartbeat was accelerating quickly and it hurt badly in his chest as the breaths he drew forced him to move his chest. Louis. Why did it have to be Louis? If Oscar had just defended him back in their freshmen year then none of this would've ever happened.

Oscar played the scene from the showers over and over again in his head, unable to stop or think of something else. He saw himself getting embarrassed as others made fun of his friend. He saw himself taking their side and laughing at Louis so that he wouldn't feel left out. That was only the start of Louis' mental health declining. Oscar remember seeing him in the locker room a few months later. Louis' body was half the size it used to be, his arms and legs were full of deep cuts that he barely let heal before slitting them again. Oscar had only seen Louis because he had forgotten his water bottle in his bag and had to go back into the locker room. Louis changed after everyone was already done so that no one would see him and that day Oscar finally understood how badly he had fucked up. He thought Louis changed after everyone else because he didn't want to get picked on but apparently that wasn't the only reason. Oscar never grabbed his water bottle that day, he just watched Louis closely as he tried to keep up with the class.

...
Bran held Louis' hand tightly as the ambulance staff checked on his head.

"It's not a concussion... But he hit his head pretty hard... It looks worse than it is..." one of the men said.

"I'm fine..." Louis muttered. He didn't need more than an ice pack on the back of his head and he thought it was utterly ridiculous that they had called an ambulance. His stomach was just a bit bruised and he would have a sore head for a few days, big deal.

"His blood pressure is 76 over 57..." the other nurse said.

"Have you eaten today?" The first one asked.

"He hasn't..." Bran mumbled.

"Well, he needs to eat..." He muttered and rolled his eyes slightly.