Seven: The idiot

Bran stood paralysed in front of Louis. A heavy bass song played back at the house and it made the ground vibrate under them. The air was frosty. It blew in Bran's hair as he tried to figure out what to say to the shy boy in front of him. Bran had been in situations like this before but he'd never had a guy confess his feelings to him. His heart was pounding. Every time he turned down a girl they would get upset and either run off and cry or just walk away. But how do you turn down another guy? Would he cry? Would Bran have to be as careful as usual when he told him that he didn't feel the same way?

"I'm not... I'm not gay..." Bran stuttered. He felt every beat of his heart pounding all the way up in his throat. Had he been too nice to this kid? All he did was fend off a bully and talk to him. Why did everything have to be so complicated? He was just trying to be nice.

"Let me be with you..." Louis whimpered. "I'll do anything..."

Bran looked at the thin boy and felt his heart beating faster. Something about the look in the boy's eyes felt wrong. It could've been that his eyes were two different colours or it could've been that the boy looked so desperate but it made Bran scared and annoyed. He usually didn't get annoyed. At least not visibly. Bran wanted to hurt the boy. For some reason, his fight or flight reflex had been triggered. The boy dropped to his knees in front of Bran and a tear fell down his cheek.

"I've got nothing else to live for..." he whispered.

At that moment Bran nearly lost it. He wanted to hit him. Not only was he freaking Bran out but his words were also scarring him, cutting deep into his soul and leaving large gaping wounds in his mind. "Louis stop it." Bran stuttered. He could no longer tell if he was angry or terrified.

"I'll do anything..." Louis whimpered.

"Fucking stop it!" Bran yelled and felt his heart climb further up in his throat. It was now beating harder than ever.

"Let me be with you... I love you..." Louis cried.

Trigger warning: Blood and Self-harm
Skip to the safety point

Bran's hand flew over Louis' face, making a loud clapping noise and hitting Louis' cheek so hard that he fell over. Bran was left hyperventilating in front of him. When Louis was no longer staring at him with those eyes Bran could finally get his senses together again. His heart was pounding in his chest, punching at his lungs and ribs as if it was trying to break out. Louis looked up at Bran as he held a hand over his red cheek. The tears were still running down his face. His eyes were wide open, staring at Bran with the most fear he'd ever seen.

"Alright," Louis said and slowly stood back up. His thin legs were trembling under him. "I'm sorry..." he whispered. Louis turned around and took a hesitant step forward. His clothes had gotten wet and dirty from hitting the ground and he had dirt in his white hair.

"Louis wait!" Bran yelled and ran after Louis. He grabbed his wrist and Louis let out a gasping whimper.

"Careful..." He whimpered and turned around. He placed his own hand on Bran's wrist and tried to pull him off but it just made Bran squeeze harder.

"I'm sorry! I shouldn't have hit you!" Bran yelped. He didn't mean to hit so hard. He had never actually hit someone so hard that they fell over.

Louis felt Bran's hard grip causing the thread to tighten greatly, ripping through the skin where the stitches were. The thread wasn't snapping through the skin though. It was slowly cutting through it, tearing it apart as the thread forced itself through. Bran's grip was hard enough that Louis' hand was falling asleep. He barely felt it anymore. "You're hurting me..." Louis whimpered. The blood was starting to spill past the thread wounds and Louis felt his sleeve getting wet. Bran would notice if he didn't let go soon. "Please let go..." Louis whispered. A tear fell down his cheek and landed on Bran's hand. The wet drop made Bran let go. He looked down at his hand and gasped. It was stained red with blood. The beating music from the house disappeared between them, making a quiet path from Louis to Bran. The silence dug into their souls. Bran stared at Louis and Louis stared at Bran. They both looked absolutely terrified. Thousands of words were spoken in the silence between them but neither of the two boys said anything out loud. No one had ever found out about Louis' self-harm before. No one had ever seen the thread or the cuts or the burns or the bruises. No one had ever asked.