Thirty-six: Pawn

Louis sat on Bran's bed, anxiously awaiting whatever fate had planned for him. An antagonistic feeling of dread sat in his stomach, in his throat, in his head. As if everything was heavy, Louis struggled to sit up. Lights and spots of black shifted over his vision, disorientating him. He wanted to lay down, rest his body and sleep.

The coldness of his fingers ached all the way down to the bone. He'd kept his red eye covered during dinner, he'd kept his turtleneck pulled over every bruise Bran had given him. Louis had been good. But. He knew what was about to happen. He knew what Bran was about to do. Hopefully, he'd be gentle this time, maybe even loving. As if. Louis sighed. Conflicting thoughts between whether he wanted to run or stay clouded his mind. His thought process was slower than usual. Slow enough that he started to question how long he'd been sitting on Brannon's bed for.

The family was yelling at each other upstairs. From what Louis could hear it was mostly Faki and Ava raising their voices at each other. Harsh words flew across the room above his head and Louis stared blankly at the wall in front of him. His belly was full, he hadn't eaten such a large meal in a long time. Faki and Ava's chef had really outdone themselves with the meal. While Louis had gotten the vegan meal he could stomach, the Begum family too, had eaten the vegan food. Bran had probably told them about his sensitivity. Louis couldn't help but smile at that thought. Bran did care, didn't he? Why else would he have warned them? It didn't matter if he had ASPD. Louis looked down at his scarred arm and sighed.

"No one's perfect..." He whispered to himself.

...
"The game's tomorrow..." Oscar mumbled as Emmy yet again, snuck around in the game that she was playing. The character she played with now was a young girl with a reddish ponytail. At her disposal, she had a hunting rifle and a handgun. But Emmy relayed heavily on stealth when she played this time, probably because she was short on ammunition and health kits. The character on the screen reminded Oscar a lot of his cousin. They both looked innocent and pure, cute and simply beautiful. Yet as those small hands hugged the gun and pressed the small knife against the throats of her prey, Oscar saw a distinct difference between the two young girls. The game's character had humanity in her. She gasped, screamed and yelled with fear, rage, anger and sometimes relief. This girl cared about other people's lives as well as her own. She was careful, not like Emmy. They simply looked alike and that was all. They were both violent but the game character had empathy while Emmy smiled at the destruction she caused.

"Are you going?" Emmy asked.

Oscar looked up, confused. "What?"

"Are you going to the game?" Emmy repeated.

"Uh... I'm not sure..." Oscar mumbled. Usually, he went with his friends but he'd fucked that up too. If he wanted to go, he had no one to go with. Well, he had Emmy but she wasn't exactly comforting company.

"You should. It'll be fun."

"No, it won't..."

"How would you know?" Emmy scoffed right as she plunged a knife into the throat of an armed man on the screen. The character didn't seem satisfied with one stab though as she kept shoving the knife into the man's throat a few times before letting him fall limp to the ground.

"I've been to football games before..." Oscar scoffed back and rolled his eyes. "It's gonna be cold, crowded and loud."

"But Louis Carter will be there. Separated from the demon..."

"The de..? Oh..." Oscar interrupted himself. "Yeah, I guess..." he mumbled.

"And wouldn't you want to see the result of the game? Didn't you guys lose your running back?"