Forty: They fake innocence

While Brannon Begum groaned in pain on the ground behind the gym, squirming as he tried to gather the courage to pull the knife out, Louis Carter stood paralysed as Oscar Mathews entered the locker room. They stared at each other, waiting to see who would be the first to speak up. Oscar cleared his throat.

"Are you okay?" He said softly.

Louis heart both swelled and broke at the same time. When had Bran ever asked him that and truly meant it? When had he asked him that without changing the subject or just ignoring his answer afterwards? Louis swallowed.

"I'm fine..." he whispered, biting his quivering lip and swallowing the cries that threatened to escape his chest. Oscar stepped closer.

"Are you?" He said.

Keep it together. Bran didn't want Louis to talk to Oscar. Bran had hurt Oscar because of Louis. Because of Louis, Oscar had been upset with him and taken that anger out on him. Like Bran always did. Louis shook his head, trying to distance himself from negative thoughts. Yet the thoughts of what had gone down between him and Oscar in the bathroom crept in the back of his mind. The bite on his neck. Forceful. What had hurt the most? Bran's torment or that one time Oscar messed up? Louis pinches his shoulder beneath the jacket and the jersey, clamping down hard until he felt the skin breaking.

"Yeah," He said. "Everything's fine..."

A warm hand cupped the left side of Louis' face and he looked up to see Oscar, towering over him like he always had. A spark of fear lit in Louis chest and he backed away, remembering what had happened the last time Oscar was that close.

"I'll always be by your side. Supporting you like a soccer mom... remember?" Oscar whispered. Louis ears perked. Of course, he remembered. Those were the words Oscar spoke after he came out to him. But. Louis didn't believe them anymore. He lied when he said that. Louis glanced toward the locker room showers and the tears finally spilt from his eyes.

...
The hands on his body, mocking him for his slim limbs and slender frame. Louis had tried so hard to hold back tears.

"Ew! Look! He got hard!" They'd laughed.

"What are you? Some kind of pervert?"

"That's fucking disgusting!"

"Are you a faggot or something?"

"People like you shouldn't be allowed with normal people like us!"

"Tell us, Oscar!" They'd yelled. "You're his friend aren't you? Are you really friends with this freak?"

"Are you a fag too?"

Oscar's eyes had gone from filled with horror to pure rage. He'd laughed bitterly. "Of course I'm not friends with that homosexual pervert! Who'd ever want to be friends with someone like him?!"

Shoved into the shower wall and laughed at while he tried to cover himself up as much as possible. Oscar had stood back, laughing while they made fun of him.

"Look at his eyes!" Oscar had said. "Freaky, right?!"

...
"Why'd you do it..?" Louis whimpered, looking up at the stranger in front of him. The stranger he thought he knew so well it hurt.

Oscar's eyes slowly travelled to the showers Louis had been staring at. A strangling feeling wrapped around his heart and he felt the guilt well up all the way to his throat. He didn't remember why, just that he had.

Louis thought of all the scars the memories and consequences had given him, physical, mental and emotional. All the isolation and built up emotions that he refused to show. He turned around, refusing to face Oscar.