Forty-six: The epilouge

The bar buzzed with noise from chatter, glasses and the TVs that showed the NFL playoffs. People all around watched. The tension in the bar was thick yet lighthearted. Oscar Matthews stood behind the bar, lining up shot glasses for a group. It had been a good decision to open up his own bar with Emmy. The two made great business partners, despite their differences and being family. Oscar ran the front, Emmy ran the back. In college, Oscar had been quick to discover his love for bartending. Now, at twenty-six, he owned a newly opened bar with a good reputation. He was proud of it. It hadn't been easy, but he'd done it. One of the town's top-rated bars with the town's best rated APA as well as cider selection.

Oscar glanced at the closest tv. He wanted to turn it off. Brannon Begum was playing, being highlighted and praised like some kind of superhuman. Oscar gritted his teeth. The bar was stuffed for the game, good business but annoying and straining for Oscar. The bastard had only gotten more successful with every passing month, being called the best quarterback of the decade, if not of all time. Oscar didn't agree at all. He would argue that Brannon Begum was the most overrated football player of all time. Sure, he was good, but Oscar's personal opinion weighed heavier.

Blocking the sounds from the game out, Oscar focused on the tray of shots that he handed to the waitress who stood by the side of the bar, waiting. Despite being the owner of the bar, Oscar proffered standing behind the bar working. Emmy handled income and deliveries, Oscar handled management and staff.

"Hey, could I get a rosé cider and a Duvel on draft, please?" A handsome man said with a British accent said. He was about Oscar's height with straight white teeth and gorgeous brown eyes.

"Can I see your ID?" Oscar said with a faint smile. He could tell that the man was over twenty-one, Oscar just wanted to know his name.

"Of course," the man said with a faint laugh, understanding what Oscar was trying to do, and pulled out a brown wallet with a rainbow stripe. It reminded Oscar of the old Instagram logo, except this was the pride rainbow. A smug expression spread over Oscar's face. "Here you are." The man said, handing Oscar a British ID.

"Thank you," Oscar said and took the card. "...Hudson." He looked at the card for a brief moment before handing it back. "One rosé cider and a Duvel draft coming right up!"

With a light spin and a few steps, Oscar pumped the beer from the basement into the tall glass, all while glancing at the handsome man by the bar who was looking at his phone. With warm, dark skin and a sharp jawline, he was a rare sight in the crowd of average men. His coily, black hair was shaved down the sides and back but long on the top, long and pulled back in a ponytail that started in a braid, leaving a few curls hanging down over his face. He wore a loose t-shirt, tucked into a pair of mom jeans with a colourful belt. His nails were painted dark red. 'Hudson the gay Brit' Oscar snickered to himself.

"Here you go, Hudson," Oscar said as he placed the draft beer and the cider in front of the man.

"Thank you." He smiled before walking back into the crowded bar. Oscar followed him with his eyes, wondering if the man was there with someone.

Hudson placed the drinks on a small table in the far corner of the bar where a petite man sat. Much to Oscar's disappointment, Hudson kissed the man and handed him the cider. But as he did so, the man turned, exposing a pale face behind black bangs. One blue eye and one brown eye, pink lips, long eyelashes and a faint blush that would forever colour his cheeks and nose as if he were standing outside in the cold. Oscar's breath nearly hitched as he looked at him. Perfection. Like a porcelain doll. Louis Carter.

Oscar was about to walk over when he felt a hand on his shoulder. "Don't," Emmy said. "Let him come to you. There's a chance he doesn't want anything to do with you."

Oscar felt his heart ache in his chest. She was right. People who change their identities don't want people from their pasts intruding. Emmy let go of her cousin.

"I just came out to grab sparkling water, go back to work, there are people waiting." She said.

Oscar watched Louis and Hudson across the bar. They were snuggled up on a small two-seater couch, watching the game. Louis wasn't watching much, he mostly had his eyes closed, head leaned on Hudson's shoulder as he rubbed his thumb over their entangled hands. Not once did Louis stop smiling, nor did Hudson. The way they looked at each other made Oscar's heart both ache and swell. He was happy that Louis looked happy, but sad that he wasn't the one who made him happy. On Louis' ring finger sat a golden band, one that matched the one on Hudson's finger.

As much as he wanted to hug Louis, apologise for everything and ask where he had been and how he was doing, he just couldn't. There was an invisible wall holding him back, a wall Emmy built for him to keep them both safe from each other.

It took a while, but eventually, Hudson came back to the bar for a refill. "How long have you been together?" Oscar asked out of the blue.

Hudson smiled shyly and glanced back at Louis. "Five years in September..." he said as his cheeks turned to a faint shade of red. "We're getting married next summer..."

"You're one lucky guy..." Oscar said with a sigh. He wanted to cry, but he couldn't help but smile. Hudson was perfect for him. Someone gentle and loving. Someone who matched Louis' own perfection.

"I know..." Hudson said, biting his lip. As Hudson put the money on the bar top Oscar pushed it back.

"It's on the house..." he said. "Just... Tell him that I'm happy for him... You take care of him now, alright? He deserves the entire world and more..."

Hudson looked a bit stunned. "I will..." he said, nodding.

As Hudson turned to walk back to Louis, Louis turned, locking eyes with Oscar. They stared at each other, cautiously at first until Louis gave his old friend a faint smile and a careful, friendly wave.

Oscar smiled as a tear ran down his cheek. He nodded as he watched Hudson set the drinks down, kiss Louis once again before pulling him closer, letting Louis snuggle up against his side. Louis wasn't even watching the game, he was just cuddling with his fiancé and reading a book, giving zero shits what Brannon Begum did with his life.

"Excuse me, could I have a glass of porter?" A man at the bar asked. Oscar quickly wiped the tears and nodded with a smile.

"TOUCHDOWN!" Someone yelled and people started cheering. Oscar chuckled as he poured the beer. Opening up his own bar had been a good decision.

The end.