6

Mysteries

Wynnona

My hand reaches out for the journal. I examine the small, flimsy book in my hands before opening it. The pages are old, having taken on a yellowish colour. I look at the sly fox sleeping peacefully in my lap before opening it. The pages are filled with black ink, swirling into fancy letters that have been written elegantly. I look around the room again, taking it in fully. A part of me feels like I've been here before.

Turning my full attention back to the journal, I flip to the last entry. It is dated the day of my birthday, better known as abandonment day, June 19, 2504. The elegant writing takes up the first quarter of the page, written almost frantically. It reads:

Today will be my baby girl's fourth birthday. I'm beyond excited. My little angel has been growing steadily, easily showing more smarts then most children her age would. I can't explain how proud of them I am. My baby boy isn't taking well to being stuck on the ship. He misses his friend, a sweet, intelligent Klentic boy. But that's not important because both boys like each other very much and that's good enough for me. Now, to steal my lovely husband's amazing recipe for cake.

This must be the journal of the woman I had seen earlier. Once on the ship a couple minutes ago and once in my dream the other day. Then it hits me, Giovanni, the Sean I know on earth, is the little kid. But why am I seeing his memories?

Curiosity grips my stomach, but I don't keep looking through the journal and photos. Instead, I close the book and put it back, closing the drawer. I pull out my phone, wondering if there is a way I can get into contact with Giovanni. For some odd reason, it looks like I can make a call. The curious cat in me clicks his name and calls him. He did say I could call anytime, right? After three rings someone picks up.

"Hello?" Answers a female voice. I hear a groan in the background and try to judge what kind it was.

"Hi, I was um, just calling to ah, talk to Giovanni." Why am I so fucking awkward? Curse my stutter when talking on the phone.

"Hey Gio, Wynnona's calling." The girl calls. I hear soft chatter on the other end. Nervously, I start playing with one of Star's paws.

"Wynnona?" Giovanni's voice comes through the receiver. "What's wrong?" He asks.

"Um," why can't I find the right words? "I've just got some questions for you." I mutter softly.

"Ow!" I hear him growl at someone. "That hurts." Someone on the other end says something to him I don't catch. Then there is laughter. "Feel free to ask me whatever you want." He sighs.

"First off, are you okay?" I ask, worry lacing with my voice.

"I'm fine. Jake is just upset with me so he's being extra mean to me." I almost laugh aloud at his words. From what I've seen, the two have a very interesting relationship.

"Okay." I just decide to ignore it and move on. "Did you have a sister?"

"Yes. She disappeared a long time ago though." Is all he says.

"What happened to her?" I ask, a strange feeling setting in my stomach that I don't recognize.

"The day of her fourth birthday, my family was attacked. I was eight at the time and it was my job to keep her safe. I failed." My heart breaks for him.

"Okay, I'm gonna sound crazy but hear me out." I stutter out.

"It's going to take a lot to make me think you're crazy." He says with a slight laugh.