16

Past

Giovanni

Everything hurts. Everything feels like it's being weighed down by thousands of pounds. I can't move. It feels like my limbs are being dragged further and further under a black sea of water. I can't breathe. My lungs aren't working, and yet I feel somewhat at peace. I can't open my eyes, but then I feel hands on my face. My peace is broken by the smooth, cold hands of the person. Suddenly, with a lot of force, I am flung forward. Air rushes into my lungs and my eyes snap open to see a world of endless white.

Before me stands Athena, or the person I assume is Athena. She looks the same as the ancient drawings my mother made me study for years on end. Pale, healthy looking skin, hazel eyes, long white hair with strips of colour, long legs. She is breathtakingly beautiful.

"Giovanni!" My ears still feel as if they are full of water, her voice hard to hear. All at once this splitting pain rips through my skull. It feels like something thicker than water is draining from my ears. Suddenly hands are on my face again, Athena standing directly before me. Her hands grip my face tightly as she shakes me ever so slightly. "Giovanni you must wake up!" Her urgent voice that somehow manages to still be soft and delicate calls to me, very clear now.

"Athena?" The words leave my lips as more of a question then response.

"There is no time for questions, Giovanni. It is taking the last of my powers to keep your soul here. You must fight, you must wake up!" She calls to me, but the thought of waking up, the reminder of what's waiting for me stops me.

"I can't." I start to cry, the same thick liquid that fell from my ears coming from my eyes. "I've lost everything, there's no point anymore." I close my eyes and raise my hand to hold the heart locket around my neck, the last thing I had left of my heart. I held on to this hope, this prayer to the Elder Gods to let Jake live, but I know it's in vain. He won't wake up.

"Giovanni." I hear the soft, sweet voice.

"Now you've come to torment me because I couldn't save you." I hiccup, crying harder.

"Giovanni listen to me." The voice tells me sharply. The slim hands of Athena are replaced by the soft, calloused hands of one of the only things I have loved most in this world. "Open your eyes." I do as I am told. Before me is Jake in the place of Athena. He looks the same as he did before when we were laying in our bed, not a care in the world.

"I'm so sorry." I cry harder, allowing my head to fall onto his shoulder. He wraps his arms around me, holding me close.

"It's not your fault, enough of this self pity shit." He tells me, harshly but with the ever-present love he always let show around me. "Where's me strong warrior that is stubborn enough to run into head on fire from the enemy?" He pulls my head from his shoulder and rests his forehead against mine. "Where has the fire I have come to love in you gone?" He asks me ever so softly. With a light soft press of his lips against mine, Jake fades away from in front of me. I sniffle and wipe my tears; tears I now see were blood.

"That was a dirty trick, Athena." I speak in a calm voice, directing the comment at the woman a couple feet in front of me.

"But did it not work?" She asks with a raised brow. I smile slightly and shake my head, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm never going to get to rest, am I?" I ask with a shake of my head. I'm not expecting an answer, but I am given one anyways.

"I cannot be certain if any of us get to rest." She speaks softly, I almost miss her words.

"Alright then, send me back." I sigh, uncrossing my arms. "Someone's gotta help you keep an eye on those kids." She gives me a bright smile and steps forward, hugging me.