9

Warrior

Wynnona

I could taste the blood in my mouth as I spit it out, clenching my fists. The man advanced on me, a murderous look in his blood red eyes. The girl stood back, keeping an eye on the group behind me. This asshole is just asking for it. I wait for the guy to be a couple steps from me when I spring up onto my knees, grabbing a handful of sand and throwing it into his eyes. He shouts as I charge to my feet, kicking him in the stomach and tossing a punch at his face. My knuckle connects with his temple hard, knocking him right out.

The girl starts to advance on me quickly. I track her movements as I try and reach for the daggers I tend to carry with me. Damn me for forgetting to put them on this morning I curse myself mentally when I find nothing there. I duck under the girl's staff as it swings for my head. I hook my leg behind her back leg and grab the ankle of her other leg, sweeping her feet and knocking her on her to the ground.

I stand and get into a ready stance as she stands back up, charging for me again. This time, her staff morphs into a sword. I back up away from her avoiding the rapid, promising to be deadly, swings of the blade. I feel my back hit the cool metal of my ship. Crap! I mentally shout.

I reach up and grab the girls left hand. I smash her wrist into my knee and the sword falls from her grip. I twist her wrist behind her back and push her front up against my ship, my chest pressing against her shoulders to cage her in.

"Unhand me you fiend!" She shouts.

"Who are you?" I ask in a sharp voice. The others come over to join me, the twins hiding behind Brett.

"She's one of this planet's inhabitants." Zelanna says as she comes out from hiding behind Brett.

"I'll kill you all if you don't unhand me now." The girl threatens, fighting against my hold. I am, however, stronger than her.

"That's enough of that." I sigh as I hit her in the side of the head, knocking her out cold. I look at the four people staring at me, a million questions they want to ask. The two twins come over to investigate the girl as I turn to look at Brett, getting ready to bounce some ideas off him. Keya gets up to join us, something I'm thankful for. I'm about to speak when something behind them catches my eye.

The guy from earlier that I thought I knocked out charges at us. I'm too slow to stop him from grabbing hold of Keya, pulling her out of our reach. He's got a silver knife to her throat. Instantly I pull the gun, pointing it at him.

"You wouldn't want to hit your friend." The man speaks. I glare harder at him. I can see the green stone on the book light up from the corner of my eye.

"Just let her go." Brett tries to reason with the guy. He continues to back away from us. I can see blood bubble from Keya's neck where his knife is pressed against her neck. My anger rises at the sight, but I keep my cool, trying to figure out how to resolve this situation.

"You trust me right doll?" I ask Keya in a soothing voice, almost motherly. She gives me a slight nod, her hands shaking, her eyes shining with pure fear. The light from the book keeps glowing, brighter, and brighter. One of the twins reaches up and grabs it, Zelanna easily hidden behind Brett's large frame. She pulls out the book, staring at it. The man is distracted enough by this that he doesn't pay attention to me anymore. I smirk, seeing my opportunity right away.

I fire the gun, aimed perfectly at his elbow. He drops the knife, releasing his hold on Keya. Right away she runs to us. I step forward towards the guy, gun still raised. In the corner of my eyes I see Brett grab Keya, pulling her behind him protectively.

"You bitch." The man cursed at me as I got closer. He reaches for his knife, but I'm faster. I shoot him in the hand causing him to cry out. I notice a marking on his arm. The same one from the ship that attacked us earlier.