7

Truth

Wynnona

I place the phone down on the table and fall back on the soft bed. I could easily fall asleep right now, but startle awake when the automatic door slides open. Keya walks in, clothed in her pajamas and one of her boyfriend's sweaters, with something in her hand. I sit up as she comes to sit beside me.

"I found this in the room Brett chose." She tells me softly. She shows me a small, blue bunny rabbit. It's a stuffed toy no bigger than a child's chest. I take it from her as she rests her head on my shoulder. "Also, you're more comfortable then Brett." She mutters tiredly. I laugh slightly as Star yips, hopping into her lap.

"Go to sleep princess. You'll be safe here." I tell her softly, kissing her forehead. I have always had this motherly instinct over Keya. She's my best friend, a sister from a different mister, and I love her. Not romantically. No, she's Brett's girl. She's just a sister I feel this motherly instinct to protect. It's one reason she always comes to me when she has nightmares and can't sleep. She knows I'll protect her as will Brett. But it's true, I am more comfortable to sleep on and I don't snore. I hear her soft snoring after a couple seconds, causing a soft smile to stretch over my lips.

I look back at the stuffed bunny. It has been stitched together perfectly; the blue fabric soft. It reminds me of Giovanni's amazingly blue eyes. The eyes of the rabbit are unnerving. One is purple and the other is green, just like my eyes. The end of the rabbit's floppy ears are a red and black ombre.

Gently, I fall back onto the pillows behind me. Wrapping my arms around Keya, I settle into the bed. I'm awake nine out of ten times during the night, something Keya takes advantage of. That and my unnaturally warm body. On the off chance I'm not, I will wake up rather easily if poked hard enough. Keya cuddles into my side, sleeping soundly. Her long black hair is tangled around laying in a halo around her head. I fall asleep swiftly after my head hits the pillow.

The room around me has changed. Instead of the soft yellow walls, there are rigid grey ones. A boy around 18 that looks like Giovanni is standing before Inezze, the woman from my dreams.

"Stupid boy." She growls rather harshly, hand coming down to slap the boy. The sound of her skin against his face rings in my ears. The boy keeps his head turned to the side; fists clenched at his sides.

"I don't care if you don't accept us." Giovanni states, stubbornness and strength radiating from him.

"You are not to see that filthy boy again. That filth is turning you into a thing like him." She growls.

"What is he turning me into? A gay?" Giovanni growls. "I have always been gay. And you never had an issue with him when we were children. What if your precious lost daughter was gay?" He has started to shout now.

Inezze slaps him again. Harder this time. The force of this impact almost causes him to fall. But he stays standing, having staggered back only a handful of steps.

"You will listen to me as your commander." She states in a tone that leaves no room for arguments. Tears fill his eyes as he nods before turning and running off. I follow him as he enters what looks like an infirmary. A younger version of Jake turns as the door opens, his smile falling when he sees Giovanni's red cheeks.

"She hit you again, didn't she?" He asks without needing an answer. Jake sets his clipboard down and rushes to his teary-eyed boyfriend. "Hey, it's gonna be okay." Jake tells him softly as the scene fades to black.

When my eyes open, I am greeted with the warm yellow walls of the room I fell asleep in. Keya is still curled up beside me, fast asleep. I hear someone shouting her name and look up in time to see Brett walk into my room. He looks tired and scared.