18

Reconnecting

Jake

My world is cold and dark. Black is all I can see. My limbs won't move, I feel like there are weights pulling them down. I can hear people talking softly in the background. I can identify three voices, Billy, Wynnona, and Giovanni. I miss him so much. How long have I been asleep? All I remember are his eyes, those beautiful eyes I love, as he held me. Then there's just black.

I feel a warm hand grab mine and a kiss is placed against my forehead. Why is he saying goodbye? Why can't I wake up? I fight to move, to open my eyes, but nothing happens and I remain still. This can't be happening. Softly, I hear Giovanni speak.

"I have loved you since the moment you fell into my life and I will love you until the day I die and join you." He sounds like he's crying. Why can't I wake up? Move stupid body, move! Giovanni leans forward to place a soft kiss to my lips.

Billy moves to me; I can tell by the sound of his hooves against the floor and starts taking different instruments that are keeping my body alive away. Please, please stop! Give me more time! I'm awake!

But nothing comes out of my mouth.

The mask on my face is removed. Everything stops. I can feel my consciousness slipping away. I'm not ready to die. I don't want to leave behind the people I love so dearly. Lillian, my baby sister. Giovanni, the love of my life.

Wait.

I try and call, but nothing comes out of my mouth. I push harder to wake up, but my body is already dead. I just push harder, fighting with my body to make it do what I want it to.

"Wait." My mouth moves, but the word still doesn't leave my lips. I push harder again, forcing my eyes open. I stare at Giovanni's well-defined back as he goes to leave, his hunched and shaking shoulders.

"Let's get you to bed." Wynnona says softly to him.

"Wait." I finally can call out, crying to him to stay. Tears fill my eyes when he doesn't turn. Maybe this is some twisted dream. My body shakes as tears fall freely down my face.

"Jake?" Giovanni breaths out my name. He turns and the moment his beautiful blue eyes meet mine, I know this is all real. "Thank the Elder Gods!" He cries as he rushes to my side, grabbing hold of my face to kiss me all over. I giggle softly, reaching up to hold him with shaky arms. "I thought I lost you." He cries as he rests his forehead against mine, cupping my face.

"I will never leave you; I swear." I pull him into me as best I can and hug him. Wynnona is smiling at the both of us, she waves at me then turns to leave.

"I love you." Giovanni keeps whispering to me. "I love you so, so much." I kiss his cheek as best I can, not letting him go.

"I love you too." I whisper to him, feeling safe and content in his arms.

Wynnona

I go into my room on my ship. I grab a new shirt, knowing I stink, and it needs washed. I'll change after Athena cleans up my arm. I start to walk through the halls of my ship, massaging my stiff shoulder. A sweet aroma fills my nose; thus, I follow like a lost puppy. My stomach growls at me, making my lack of breakfast well known. In the ship's kitchen is Athena cooking something delicious.

"That smells fantastic." I tell her. She turns to smile at me, a smile that always makes my heart skip a beat or two.

"Yes, I know, you love my cooking." She says sarcastically. "Now, sit down." She ushers me into a seat. I take off my shirt leaving me in only my sports bra. Athena comes back with the first aid kit.