17

Jake

Wynnona

While everyone rested and slept, I flew around the small solar system. She looked so happy as the stars reflected into her bright hazel eyes. Part of me wanted to reach out, hold her close to me and never let go of her. After hours, Giovanni comes to tell us that it is probably best to head back to base, he hasn't heard from them in a while. I turn the ship around, heading back to the rebel base. After a couple hours everyone wakes up and Athena explains her story to us.

"I'm not the only one." She starts simply. "Years ago, friends of mine and I went to explore the universe. My brother Odysseus, and friends Rune, Loki, Fafnir, and Mystique. We encountered Needledrop and tried to find out how to defeat them, for the good of the universe. But we failed. We were captured and I was tortured as the strongest of us all. I was barely able to escape and tried to get them out, but when I did the leader expected it. He trapped all of us into books, scattering us to the far reaches of time and space. Separated we are weaker. He, however, kept me. I know the inner workings of their system, and I know how to defeat them.

"I managed to get away with the help of Stardust. He took me to this earth. I found different champions but again and again they failed. Needledrop overpowered them. So, I chose three unlikely mixes for my champions this time. A pretty girl with trauma, a strong will, and optimism. Keya, you were to be the glue of the team. A boy out of time, already having betrayed the people who raised him and knowing the workings of the latest organizations. Abrettden, you were to be the knowledge of the group. Last, a loose cannon. Two portions of the universe that never should have been created but strikes fear into the leaders of Needledrop. Wynnona, you were to be the protector of the group and lead the team.

"Now, we must finish the last stones and wait for the others to awaken and move forward. We must wait for the others to find their way to us. The only way they will awaken is if the stones are completed." She starts to cough and sways on her feet. Instantly I step forward, letting her latch onto me for balance.

"You need to rest." I tell her softly. She nods, allowing me to lift her into my arms and take her to my bed to rest. She ended up falling asleep in my arms on the way.

"I'll get her some of my clothes, so she doesn't have to wear that dress anymore." Keya tells me softly as I lay the sleeping beauty in my bed and tuck her in. I follow Keya out of my room in time to see Brett and her make eye contact. It appears both of them are having a heated argument through their eye contact. Eventually she turns, walking down the hall away from Brett. After she is out of ear shot, I turn to Brett.

"So, do you prefer Brett or Abrettden?" I ask in an attempt to lighten the mood. He looks at me with sad eyes.

"Brett." He turns to start to leave but stops. "You know, I never meant to hurt you both with my lies, but I always acted like myself with you. I never hid any of my personality traits from you." I stare silently for a bit as he walks away.

"I know." I say softly, going forward and hugging him from behind. His muscles stiffen as his hands come to hold mine. "You couldn't lie to me if you tried." I pull away only to place a light kiss to his cheek. "Now go explain everything to your girl and he get her back." He gives me a thankful smile before running after Keya. No matter what, Brett is my brother. When we learned that I'm part alien he never blinked, never questioned our relationship because of it. I intend to do the same. He's my brother, though not related by blood, coming back in time doesn't change that. He's the same man that grew up with me. Plus, we have a bit of a leg up on our enemy now.

I go to sit in the control room, watching the galaxy zip by and lull me to sleep.

                                                                                  «----------»