4

Ship

Wynnona

I get back to my bike after washing my hands and jacket at the park bathroom.

"It's not safe here anymore." Brett concludes when I make it to them. The setting sun is casting a honey warm glow over the park.

"What do you mean?" Keya asks, stretching her tired limbs.

"That thing was after the journal." I tell her, working everything out in my head. "And it was after me."

"I don't like that look." Keya tells me sternly.

"I'm going to take Sean up on his offer. I'm leaving earth and I'm taking that journal with me." I grab it from Brett and watch one of the stones light up from black to yellow. The same yellow as earlier. We all watch it in wonder and curiosity.

"Listen here and listen well." The sweet voice says. I look at the other two and know they hear her too. "I've got a puzzle for you."

"What in the world?" Brett whispers.

"What happens when an unearthly creature happens upon a small trio?" The voice resonates in my ears.

"Unearthly creature?" Keya echoes. My mind digs through the words, but nothing I can put together makes sense.

"Wait," Brett voices, bright blue eyes flickering between the two of us with a smile, "it's a riddle." I think over what he says and the words the book spoke.

"You're a genius." I tell him. Keya jumps up and wraps her arms around his neck, kissing him. Her feet are up in the air, Brett holding her up with his arms tightly wound around her waist as they kiss. I roll my eyes and scan the area, looking for anyone suspicious. Keya finally hops off her boyfriend and remembers I am still standing here.

"Sorry." She mutters to me. I only shrug in response.

"It's okay. One of us needs to be miserable." I tell her in a bored tone. "Anyways, I'll meet you guys at the old NASA building in an hour and a half." I tell the two. "After that, we steal a ship and get off earth." They nod and we break apart.

I can't help the guilt clutching my stomach. Keya has a good life here and so does Brett. I don't want to be the reason they leave it all behind.

"The two will choose their own path." The melodic voice tells me in an almost reassuring manner. I sigh and drive home, rushing into the house and grabbing a small backpack. I'm only taking the necessary stuff.

I stuff a pair of pj's in, a couple changes of clothes, some shirts, and several pairs of jeans. I also stuff in a sweater or two and my phone charger. Grabbing a couple cans of food for Stardust I stuff them in as well. Next to go in is a small lot of different tools for working on my bike and such. Zipping it shut I grab my keys making my way to a sleeping Stardust.

Star yips as I lift him up, grabbing his sleeping mat. Really, it's just an old shirt I used to wear. I stuff that into my bag and toss it on. I open the door and come face to face with Sean. His right hand was raised to knock on the door.

"You're leaving?" He asks, slightly surprised.

"It's better if I leave." I tell him, sighing as I try and push past him. "Keya and Brett agreed to come with me. We are meeting at the old NASA building. It was abandoned years ago." I tell him. I nod and I then notice he's not in his suit from earlier. I hear a shout from behind him. He turns and glares at someone in his car.

"I'll come with you." He tells me as he turns back to me. I raise a brow at him.

"Why?" I ask. "Why won't you tell me anything? You know more than you're letting on." I demand, suddenly getting upset. He turns his back to me and walks away. "Something tried to kill me today!" I shout. His body tenses and he stops. He turns to look at me then sighs.