14

Unsure

Wynnona

I enter Jake's hospital room, fully ready to get Billy's help in dragging Giovanni with us to his planet. A part of me is nervous. Being a fancy person with authority is strange. I'm so used to being the stupid girl that wears the same two outfits, dropped out of school, and fights for a living. The bruises on my knuckles have since faded.

Billy told us that the only things we needed to bring was ourselves and something to change into for sleep. I may have brought more than that, but it's not like I don't trust him. I have a bad feeling about this. I stop by my shared room with Brett and Keya to make sure they are ready to go. As I am leaving, I see a soft glow coming from the hidden pocket of my leather jacket. I turn back to the two and pull the book from my pocket. The orange stone has lit up, filling the room with its soft glow.

"Guys." I say to get their attention. They both turn to me and instantly turn their attention to the glowing stone. Something about this stone lighting up feels different. I look to Keya; her eyes betray the wide smile she is giving us.

"This means we are one step closer." She says in a cheery voice, but both Brett and I see through it. We know her far too well. I ignore this however and play along with her act.

"Whatever lies after is unknown territory." Brett says softly. "Maybe it's not too late to turn back." That's when I noticed his bag was not actually packed.

"What's going on Smith?" I ask him as the stone goes back to black and tuck the book into my pocket.

"Nothing, I just have a bad feeling about this." He says defensively. I make a mental note of it but don't push the subject.

"Finish getting packed, I'll be back in twenty minutes." I tell them, giving Brett a sharp look. I leave and head across the hall towards Oriana's room. I open the door and groan aloud at the scene before me. "Why does this keep happening to me!" I half shout half sigh in frustration.

Oriana has Lillian pinned against one of the walls of the room. Both women are without their shirts. Lillian's hands are about to undo Oriana's bra and Oriana's hands are down Lillian's sweatpants. Oriana has her head buried in Lillian's neck leaving obvious bites and bruises. The same spots that Jake has litter Lillian's body. They glow a soft blue as her head is tossed back, a deep silvery blush taking over her cheeks.

"What's up, Wynnona?" Oriana asks, not lifting her head or changing their positions. I hear a soft, strangled moan come from Lillian and don't miss the slight smirk on her face.

"Twenty minutes, then we leave." I tell them with an annoyed voice. I leave the room and close the door, heading to the hospital wing. I get there and hear soft voices from Jake's room.

"I am just saying you have spent a week morning the loss of your fuck buddy. He's dead and gone, get over it. We have a job to do." I instantly recognize Inezze voice. My anger flares at her words, an anger I learned was given to me from my father, Florence.

"He is more then a fuck buddy." It breaks my heart so much to hear the fight in Giovanni gone. His words were soft, a whisper. I can imagine him curled up in his chair, blanket wrapped around his shoulders, hand locked around Jake's pale, still hand. Over the past week Giovanni and I had gotten much closer to one another. I am starting to view him as a brother and let him in. I drop my guards around him.

"Enough, this is getting ridiculous." I hear her footsteps move further into the room.

"Please no." Giovanni begs weakly. That's when I come into the room. I see Inezze grey hand reach for the cord that is keeping Jake's life-support online. I grab one of my paper-thin throwing knives and toss it at her hand, crossing my arms after and leaning against the door frame. The small blade cuts the top of her hand, landing in the wall just above the cord.