24

Stranded

Wynnona

My heart pounds in my chest from the information I had finally managed to say to Athena. I can feel worry nag at me, a little voice in my head telling me that this was a bad idea, something was wrong. I pushed it back, allowing no room for distractions as I got ready to face Oriana and Lillian. Even the dull ache in my forearm seemed to fade as I centred myself. Giovanni and I enter the hangar, Lillian and Oriana ready for us there.

"So, you aren't yet dead." Lillian snarls at me. "Fantastic, I wouldn't want you to die mercifully." Oriana then lunges at me. I grab the morphing weapon that was made and gifted to me by Oriana only to find it no longer works. She lets out a wicked laugh as she brings her sword down on me. I dodge out of the way, causing her sword to get stuck in the floor. In her moment of distraction, I grabbed the bow staff from my necklace, I had moved it when I was no longer in need of my keys. I watch as Oriana charges for me. I stay on my one knee waiting for her to get close.

When she is about to bring her sword down on my head, I extend the bow staff, hearing a satisfying crack as it pushes into her jaw, making her fall back and collapse. I go to Giovanni's side, studying the hall behind him. I see two heads sticking out from a doorway and mentally cursing. Giovani is handling Lillian fine, pushing her back almost against the wall of the hanger.

"Give it up Lillian." Giovanni breaths slightly, his breath laboured as he points our father's sword at Lillian's neck.

"You're right, I can't win." She sighs in defeat as two sets of footsteps come towards us. Athena and Jake come to stand beside us. "Not without rigging the game." I barely hear her whisper. The ship starts to violently move. I faintly hear one of the ship's systems blow out, not just stopping but full on blow up. I fall to the ground, unable to hold my balance like the others. Lillian takes out a second blaster, pointing one at her brother and the other at Athena.

"Shit." I breath as I roll to grab Athena's hand, pulling her to the ground. I don't focus on what Giovanni has done to protect Jake, only on saving Athena.

The blaster shot hits her shoulder.

The force of it sends her falling to her back beside me. I roll on top of her, protecting her with my body from any further damage. I glare at Lillian, pointing a finger at her stupid hair, smirking when a blue flame lights up her hair. I look back to Athena, taking in the blood that stains her perfect skin, pale hair, and one of my old sweaters. Tears fall down her face as the ship jolts violently again.

"Hey. You're going to be okay." I tell her softly as I cup her face. I stand, gingerly helping her to her feet as Jake comes to look at her shoulder, one hand on his side. "Both of you go to the front of the ship and see if you can figure out what's wrong." They both nod and rush to follow my directions. I look to Giovanni who holds his side the same way Jake held his, then to Lillian who still hasn't managed to put out the flame. Then the hanger starts to open. The ship tilts in a way that will cause us to fall out if we don't grab something.

I run to a hook on the opposite wall, sliding my staff into it and grabbing hold of the staff on the other side. Giovanni starts to slide down the floor. I stick my foot out to him, pulling him to grab hold of my staff. When I look behind us Lillian is falling into what looks like a pitch-black maze. As she falls, we hear a strange roar. It causes a shiver to rush up my spine causing me to grip my staff harder. We now hang from the hook parallel to the floor. My muscles burn as I try to keep my grip, praying Athena and Jake get the ship stable. I spot the unconscious Oriana slide across the floor and hit the wall, just missing falling out.

The ship slowly starts to tilt back, the hanger door staying open. I hear footsteps rush to the back of the ship, looking up to see who it is. Athena stares back at us then looks to the controls of the ship.