Who's This Kiddo

My summer has been busy with band. Enjoy!

Sawyer's POV

I hear a girl cry in pain. She scooches backwards out of the bush and into view. She is wearing a dark Galaxy colored robe of sorts with the hood up and a dress underneath. She holds her legs while crying.

"Who are you?" I question scooting a little closer to her with my gun aimed at her head. She holds her leg tight and stares at me.

"Please! Don't shoot! I'm begging you!" She cries. I look at her sternly before putting down my gun. She helps herself up with a nearby tree and pulls me over to help her up. Yet I don't do anything about it.

"Thank you for not shooting. For a second there I thought I was gonna be toast," she thanks then laughs. I just look at her in annoyance.

"If you knew who my father was, you wouldn't be here," I say through clenched teeth. She stops and glares at me concerningly.

"Okay then, geez what a party pooper. Well, I guess anyone with that kind of mindset would be. Well, I guess I should be going-" she takes a few steps from me.

"Wait! Please, I need someone to talk to," I say without thinking. She turns back around to face me with a smirk on her face.

"Oh really now? What do you need to talk about?" She questions me turning to face me.

"I just need to calm down before I do something wrong again," I explain simply. She nods and taps her chin while thinking.

"Okay, go on," she instructs while sitting on a chopped down tree. I stand in a slouched position in front of her.

"My father- he's insane. Literally mentally insane. Sometimes he tries to kill me. He leaves me alone a lot. Forces me into other people, and even made me kill my own mother. He was lying to be about trying to leave me forever so I ran away before anything else could happen," I let out. I tear up a tiny little bit at the thought of having to shoot my Mom.

The girl sits there in silence thinking to herself. I look at her, hoping she isn't like other egos, as well as unable to read my thoughts. The idea of that happening just spooks me.

"How was he trying to escape you and why?" She asks me giving me a stern look.

"He was trying to gain infinite control of his human ego so he could cause extreme destruction to the over world. Which would leave me here as an orphan child without a blood relative, unless you count my father's fellow egos as uncles," I inform her as I lean against the nearby tree with some anger built inside me.

"So, from what I am hearing, you don't have a human ego of your own?" She questions, I nod in response and look away from her. I hear her get up from her position on the log. She walks towards me and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"I know someone that can change that."

"Who?!" I ask, both surprised and shocked. She laughs at my childish behavior and removes her hand from my shoulder.

"He's about a day's walk from here. If we hurry, we can get there by late morning. Do you think your Dad would let you go?" She informs me. I look back towards where I came from before turning back around and shrugging my shoulders.

"Doesn't matter. As long as he doesn't find us out," I tell her. She smiles and reaches for my hand.

"Come on, let's go!" She yells excitedly. I give her a confused look before hesitantly taking her hand as she drags me away.

We keep running until I force her to stop and she flies backwards at me and we almost fall, but we don't. She lays in my arms dramatically. I force onto her feet and she stumbles forward.

"Hey! What was that for?!" She yells at me. I give her a look of disbelief, mixed in with agitation.

"You're taking me to who knows where and I'm just supposed to follow you? I don't even know your name," I state. She rolls her eyes before holding her hands out and cracks her fingers.

"The name's Midnight. You got a name kid?" She demands from me.

"Uhh yeah, it's Sawyer," I stutter. She gives a quick nod and holds her hand out again to me.

"We good to go now Sawyer?" Midnight asks me. I nod and grasp my hand in hers and we shake on it. Then she turns back around and starts running. I quickly follow suit, a little behind because I didn't expect it.

She rushes through the forest. Ducks under branches. Leaps over bushes and fallen trees. I try to follow but find myself tripping many times. I fall behind and lose her. I stop, panting heavily, and sit against a tree.

"I just need a second to catch my breath," I say to myself. I close my eyes and rest my head back on the tree. I'm there for several seconds before I hear the rustling of a nearby bush. I open one eye and find that Midnight cam back for me.

"Where did you go?" She questions me, both annoyed and grateful.

"I had to catch my breath *pant* so I sat against this tree," I respond kindly while slowly getting up off the ground. She stares daggers at me but I'm not scared.

"Well if we want to get there on time, you're gonna have to get off your butt and move it," she enforces. I nod lazily and get up at a much slower pace to annoy her. She walks up to me and hits me.

"Hey what was that for?!" I yell trying to smack her back. She laughs and runs off while I Chase after her, and we head further into the forest.