Does She Sleep

I marched a parade last night and geez oh man was it tiring. At least it was at somewhere that's lots of fun. Enjoy!

Sawyer's POV

Midnight and I have been running around nonstop until I felt something knowing that it's morning time for those who sleep. I don't need sleep, who does, but sleeping is pretty nice.

Randomly, Midnight takes a pause and sits against a tree. She looks fatigued. I stop as well and sit next to her. The air feels crisp and makes me feel cool. She rests her head back and closes her eyes.

"Do you ever wish that you could go on forever? That there could be nothing slowing you down?" She asks me curiously. I look around for a moment, enjoying the bright colors of the forest, and I nod to her. We sit there in silence for a moment and I'm half convinced she fell asleep.

I nudge her shoulder with my hand. She doesn't respond. I shake her a little rougher. She opens one eye and stares at me confusingly.

"What are you doing?" She questions me. I give her a look of disbelief before resting my head back in annoyance.

"You said that we had to get there a soon as possible, and you made me run around all night, and now here you are falling asleep against the tree," I complain. She sighs and glares at me.

"I'm an ego that needs sleep. Only, I sleep during the day time, as I'm a vampire, but the sun doesn't harm me. I'm only partially vampire," she explains to me. I give her a look of confusion. She shakes her head disapprovingly before closing her eyes again.

I push myself up to my feet and take a small walk. I kick along some twigs and leaves that I pass by. Some make a crunch under my feet and I find a small rush of air pass by me. It's feels calming out here, but we know it won't last long.

I hear a rustle of bushes near me, and I find myself turning back And in seconds running off towards where Midnight was sitting. I take quick glances back but can't see anything clearly and I keep going.

I run until I get my foot caught on a tree root and fall to the floor. I smack my body against someone else's and that's when I realized that I fell on Midnight. She pushes me off her and I roll a few feet from her before gaining an understanding of my surroundings and sit up. I find her standing and staring at me, ready to beat me up.

"What were you doing?" She questions me. I can't find the will to say anything and I instead try to act out my words with my arms while my mouth is open. She leans down and slaps me across the face.

"Get yourself together bucko, we don't have all day. What happened?" She questions me again. I find my voice finding me.

"I heard something in the bushes and I got spooked, then I started running until I tripped and fell, on you. I'm sorry about that actually, are you okay?" I start rambling then pause for her response. She remains silent but puts out her hand. I take it and she pulls me up to my feet.

"Let's go find whatever was bothering you, so we can destroy it," she cries out a bit more happy than someone should. I nod to that and lead her to where I heard it at.

I stop us at the bush and I point to it. She pulls out a sword and pokes the bush with it. Silence. She goes to put away her sword when I see a blob fly past us and impales a tree. Looking back I see it's an arrow. Midnight sees it and starts to run.

We start running mindlessly through the forest. We push through thick forest and run through bushes that come in our way. I can hear them chasing us and hear whistling sounds of their arrows.

After minutes of running, Midnight and I spot a home in the distance. She points to it and takes a turn to it.

"Hurry that will take us to safety!" She cries. I pivot off of my right foot to the sudden turn and follow behind her on an inclinr. I hear another whistle and I duck down as an arrow flies right above me. I pull out my gun and shoot from the direction the arrow came from to try to scared whoever is chasing us.

Midnight and I run to the door and bang on it. She hurriedly grabs the door knob and we rush inside, slamming it behind us. We rest ourselves against the door breathing heavily.

"At least we're not dead," I breathe. She nods and glances around. I slide down to a sit and catch my breath. Then I hear some more footsteps.

"We may not be alone," Midnight whispers," stay silent." I nod to her request and prepare my gun if needed. Midnight pulls out her sword as quickly and quietly as possible in preparation as well.

I notice a dark shadow lurking in the room, noticing that there are tons a bookshelves filled with books and random boxes. I clench my gun tightly and wait for a time to shoot.

I take another look at Midnight. She seems to be scared and distracted at the same time while holding her sword out like it was a flashlight peering into a dark room.

I check my gun to make sure it's locked and loaded, as it should be. Thank goodness it is, I might need to use it at any second now.

We hear the floorboards creak, someone breathing, and our hearts beating out of our chest in pure fright. I hold my hand to my chest to see if it actually is, but it isn't.

The lurking shadow finally steps out from behind the shelves, yet it's still smothered in darkness. We reposition ourselves, prepared to jump up and attack.

"What are you two doing here?" The figure speaks in an oddly familiar and soothing tone. That's when what seems to be a lightbulb turns on in Midnight's head

"You're exactly who we were looking for!"