Fight or Flight

Happy Halloween everyone! At least for anyone that reads it the day it gets published. Hmm... well, if anyone cares I'm dressing up as Connor from Detroit Become Human. Enjoy!!

Sawyer's POV

Chase is prepared for me to fight him. I can't do that, he's been so nice to us since we got here. Also, what did he mean by dealt with my father? He takes aim for my forehead with one of his guns. I unconsciously run towards him and hug him. He seems annoyed and tries to push me away.

"Trying to act innocent won't help you here kiddo, just show your true self," he mocks. I just shrug my shoulders in defeat and aim my gun to his face. He sees it and holds his hand up in defeat

"Please! Don't shoot!" He yells. I give him a confused look and put it down.

"Well you said to show my true self, and that is this gun. The gun has been my entire life," I tell him showing it to him. He grabs it from me cautiously and examines it. I watch as he rubs his thumb along my name that's ingrained into it.

"This craftsmanship..." He mutters to himself. I look at him, ready to explain it, when he looks at me suddenly.

"I recognize this work. Where did you get this from?" Chase asks me, handing it back to me. I grab my gun and put it away.

"My Dad gave it to me a few years ago. He claimed that a friend of his made it," I explain to him. He nods along before lifting a finger, presumably to have me stop talking.

"Nefas isn't friends with this person. Actually they quite hate each other. Is that all he told you?" He asks me. I just nod and he sighs.

"I'll have to talk to them about this later. For now, what do you two want to do?"

***Unexpected Time Skip***

It's been a few days, 4 to be exact. Or at least it feels like it, there isn't time here. Midnight and I have been living with Chase. He's been nice. He feeds us, gives us a place to sleep, even though I don't sleep, and always has something to do. Meanwhile Midnight and I have been going undercover trying to figure out how to get me a human ego.

Later today I'm sitting on the top of a bunk bed Chase has in a guest room. I find Midnight at the end of the bed holding a book. It's an old book with a leather cover and a little bright red bookmark sticking out of it.

"What's that?" I ask her. She shushes me and hands over the book. The covers has the words Guide To Egos written on the front in a fancy golden font. She uses her thumb and opens the book to the bookmarked section.

"Be quiet, I saw Chase not too long ago, but this could be the solution we needed," she explains. I nod before pausing her and reading the page. I get halfway through the page before glancing up at her confusingly.

"How is this even possible?" I question her. She shrugs her shoulders before leaning forward and pointing to something on the other page.

"This part might be helpful for doing it. Only problem is that only a skilled magic user can do it," she informs me.

"I mean Marvin is a magician, I watch him do magic all the time," I tell her. She gives me a look before shaking her head no.

"We can't do that. He would refuse to do it. Then he'd kill me for giving you the idea," Midnight refuses my idea. I give her a stern look but nod anyway.

"How about you figure it out? I'm obviously not fit to pick someone," I request of her. She seems a bit upset then rolls her eyes, probably assuming that I was being sarcastic. I was trying to mind you.

"Okay, I'll head out for awhile to find anyone willing to help us. In the meantime stay here, I should be back before dawn." She rushes off before I can ask her where she's going. I lay in this bed awkwardly, hoping she doesn't do anything stupid.

***More Time Skipping***

It's been many, many days since I've seen Midnight. Chase didn't mind, he figured she left because she had business to take care up, good enough coverup for me.

Today Chase made breakfast as usual. I don't need to eat but Chase slowly got me into enjoying it. One thing in particular I like is toast with cinnamon and sugar on top. When I first saw Chase making toast I thought he was attempting something stupid with a knife, that I have figured out is called a butter knife.

Chase starts to eat his breakfast and I eat my toast. Usually he's chatty but today he is quite silent. I hear him muttering while in the middle of taking a bite. I glance up at him questionably. He notices my look.

"I don't think Midnight is coming back," he repeats himself. I give a confused nod and take a bite, "you shouldn't be here for much longer."

"What? Why?" I question almost choking on my food. He glances at me then stares at his plate.

"I can feel Nefas' presence. He's been looking for you. If he finds you here I'm as good as toast," he explains in some detail.

"Well toast is pretty good so it shouldn't be too bad," I say, acting half stupid.

"I meant that I'd be burned similar to that of toast," Chase clarifies. I nod, understanding what he meant," finish your toast then your leaving." He gets up, grabbing his plate, and walks out of the room. I slow down eating to see if he would come in and change his mind. I finish my food but nothing comes of him.

I walk up to the room I called mine for the past weeks and grab some things I want to bring, including the book Midnight showed me. I walk to where we first met Chase and head outside to greet my father.