Beginning of the End

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Americans!! I'm thankful for everyone that reads my book so I'll give you all two chapters today!! Enjoy!!!

Sawyer's POV

His first reaction to the events was to break something. I just watch as he punches walls as hard as he can. He makes decent holes in them but his knuckles look like they start to bleed, the blood being a very saturated shade. All I can do is think about how stupid I was for acting like that. Me being king? It sounds ridiculous.

My father throws harder punches and I find myself slowly walking backward. He's becoming unstable. If he doesn't calm down soon he'll undergo a mental shock that I've gone through before. As I find a good time to run he glares at me and I'm forced to walk back to my original spot.

He's being ridiculous. I want to grabs his arms, to stop him in his tracks and tell him that if he continues he'll only make things worse. He wouldn't listen, no matter how hard I'd try.

After a few more punches I watch him fall to the floor. In a flash, I run over and catch him before his head hits the ground. Or the illusion of the ground. I hold him by his chest, his eyes closed and his body expressionless. He's out cold, probably from exhaustion. I wrap his arms around my shoulders the best I can and head over to Marvin's house without being spotted.

I set him against the wall and knock on his door. It's been a while seen I've seen him. After a minute of waiting, I see him peek out of the door. He recognizes me and greets me with a hug. I hug him back, but he suddenly jumps and lets go of me.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. He points to my Dad.

"What is Anti doing on the floor?" He asks in a confused manner. I nod and try to lift him up.

"Well, we went to a dinner... then we left, and he got mad.. so he punched walls until he fell," I say between grunts and deep breaths. He nods and helps me out.

"Well let's get him inside."

***Exhausting Time Skip***

He rests in one of the guest rooms in Marvin's home and we both take a breath of relief. Carrying him here was tiring.

Marvin glances at me before walking out of the room. I take a few boxes off of a random chair in the room and pull it up against the bed and sit.

I don't understand. Why am I feeling pity for him? I shrug it off. It must be the effects of whatever substance they decide to put in my food. I sit there and continue thinking to myself. Marvin walks in holding a glass of water.

"Here, I brought you something to drink," he says kindly. I nod and grab it from his hands. The water cooling down my hands and I take a sip. It feels cold as it runs down my throat. I sigh and I place it between my legs.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" I ask, the concern seeping from my words in a way that even Marvin finds concerning. He stands there for a moment, not daring to speak.

"... He should be fine," he states with bitterness in his tone," Then again if he's out for this long, he could be doing something in the overworld." The idea alone made me on edge.

"What could he be doing out there?" I ask him. He shrugs it off and looks at my father. His body glitching out every so often and I notice his facial expression. Whatever he's seeing he's showing a reaction to it now. Marvin notices and tells me to back away. I nod and stand up from the chair.

Within seconds his body jolts to a sitting position. He looks forward straight towards us. He gives us blank expressions before I watch him process what is happening. When he figures it out, he jumps out of the bed and stares at us.

"How... how did I get here?" He questions us. He takes slow steps towards us and I begin to take slow steps away, soon finding myself behind Marvin and in the hallway.

"Sawyer brought you here. He said you fainted after causing your knuckles to bleed from all the anger-inducing punches," Marvin says for me. I nod and hold on to Marvin's arm for protection. I was concerned for him and now I'm scared of him. Why?

"Oh, of course, he'd say that! He's just a petty little liar. Tell him, Sawyer!" He says angrily. That's why I'm scaring. I shake my head no and run away. Marvin turns to watch me go and I hear Dad rush past him and after me. I pull open the door and jump outside. He runs out too and I manage to juke him out and lock him outside.

Marvin walks over to me as I push against the door as a sort of last case scenario if he manages to break open the door. He nudges me to the point that I'm not blocking the door. In a state of panic, I run to the room where my father was just laying in and I crawl out the window. 

I sit out behind the house to hopefully wait long enough that he won't be so upset. In the distance I see a familiar face approach me. I just watch as she gets closer to me before sitting down next to me. I hold my legs close to me and rest my chin on my knees. I stare into the distance as I feel her eyes examine me.

"What happened in there?" Her voice is faint. Almost sounds like it has been through some terrible conditions. 

"My father. He woke up and just starting being aggressive. He called me a liar and then starting chasing me like he was trying to hurting me." I feel her hand on my shoulder. I glance over at her. She smiles at me. I give a small smile and look away from her. After a moment of silence, I hear her speak again.

"Sawyer, before you know it, you'll be out there, you can be with your father and everything will be perfect," she says to me with a spark of hope in her eyes.

"Really?" I ask her.

"Really." Midnight wraps her arms around me in a hug. The first time I ever truly felt love.