#27

At the Hogsmeade Station, many students were piling into the Hogwarts Express, eagerly talking about their plans for Christmas.

Percy and Annabeth ambled past the hordes of students. While walking, Percy's eyes lingered on Draco, whose face was so pale- well, paler than usual- he could've been mistaken for a ghost. When their eyes met, Percy looked away. Whatever problems the boy had, Percy decided it didn't have anything to do with him.

"What were you thinking about just now?" Annabeth asked. She tried to read his expression, but she found that she couldn't. His sea green eyes were dark with longing. His lips were pressed together firmly, like he was stressed about something he couldn't have.

"The wizards," he said finally. He could've been talking about anyone in the school, since they were all wizards and witches, but Annabeth knew who he was hinting at.

"I miss them too," Annabeth sighed. She and Hermione had been close. Along with Katie, Luna and Ginny, the girls were almost inseparable. Annabeth knew Percy missed Harry and Ron a lot, and she did, too. She wished things could've been back to normal, when times were much simpler, but her friendship with the wizards was too good to be true. She should've expected their falling out.

Nevertheless, Percy didn't reply, and together, he and Annabeth entered a compartment, where they found Travis and Katie waiting.

Percy's eyes darted across the compartment. "Where's Nico?"

"He hasn't shown up," Katie answered. "I thought he was coming with you guys."

"I haven't seen him all day," Percy said.

Annabeth's eyebrows knitted together. "Do you think something happened to him?"

"I hope not," Percy muttered, chewing his bottom lip.

"The train leaves in twenty minutes," Travis told them. "Do you think we could find him by then?"

"No, but we have to try," Percy insisted.

Splitting up so as to cover more ground, Annabeth and Travis ventured to the Gryffindor Common Room, in hopes of finding students who might've seen Nico that morning. Percy and Katie headed towards their own Common Room with the same goal.

"So... how are things between you and Travis?"

Katie seemed to be caught off guard by that. "Uh... me and Travis? There's nothing between us."

"Please," Percy scoffed. "I've seen the way you guys looked at each other."

"Really! We're just friends!" Katie exclaimed, her cheeks tinted red. "Besides... I'm not good enough for him."

Percy was taken aback by her solemn tone. "Do... do you still blame yourself?"

There was no response. Then, Katie exhaled loudly. "For the Eidolon incident? Yeah, I do."

"You shouldn't," Percy said. When Katie shot him a look, he added, "Believe me, Katie, I almost killed Jason because of the Eidolon. I know what it's like. Blaming yourself... it'll get you nowhere."

Katie couldn't argue with his logic. She couldn't say that he didn't understand. He had said it himself- he'd gone through the same thing, if not, worse.

"I'm sorry." Katie's voice was barely above a whisper, tears burning in her eyes. "I know it's pathetic, but it's just so overwhelming for me."

"It was for me too," Percy laughed bitterly. He looked at Katie gently. "But don't blame yourself. That's one thing I learned. You're a nice girl, and Travis likes you. I know he does. Don't keep beating yourself up."