Meeting the Avengers

When Fury called Natasha into SHIELD because Clint was off the grid, she was beyond worried. When she was assigned to find Dr. Banner, it was easy, but ease wasn't part of her job. Loki was a problem as it was, but she wasn't afraid of him. Neither was he of her, which surprised her a lot, because that was one thing she almost always counted on. Then Thor appeared, and that man was a mystery on his own. And Steve Rogers walked in, then everything went haywire.

Not that it was Steve's fault, well some, a lot, of it was. To be completely fair, Nick Fury had gathered them all up and basically pressured them into working together. Natasha didn't think that it was a bad idea, but she did think they should have met before a worldwide threat appeared. When Tony met Dr. Banner, Natasha felt that went quite well, although he seemed to enjoy teasing him, and Natasha prayed that the man wouldn't Hulk out. When Steve and Tony started to talk, Natasha wanted to drag Tony by the ear and punch Steve into a wall. Natasha did understand why Tony was upset with him though, who wouldn't be when your father praises him more than he ever acknowledged you?

At every moment, Natasha was wondering about Peter, who they left at the tower with Pepper. Now he was almost a year old, but she still worried that danger would somehow find him.

Then the fight came down in front of Stark Tower. And the wormhole. Then Tony, being the dummy he was, casually talked to Loki when he knew darn well that his son was in that same tower.

"What have I to fear?" Loki asked him, opening Tony up for a challenge, which Natasha knew Tony would accept. As she watched from the next room over, she had all she could do from not banging her head against the wall.

"The Avengers. It's what we call ourselves. Sorta like a team. Earth's Mightiest Heroes type thing." Tony replied, nonchalantly.

"Yes. I've met them" Loki replied, looking unimpressed.

"Yeah, takes us a while to get any traction I'll give you that one. But let's do a head count here. Your brother, the demigod. A super soldier, living legend who kinda lives up to the legend. A man with breathtaking anger management issues. A couple of master assassins and YOU, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them." Tony said, pouring a cup of alcohol.

"That was the plan." Loki said, his eyes daring Tony to continue.

"Not a very-" Tony started, but something hit his calf before he could continue. Looking down he found Peter who held his arm up.

"Pick me up Dada!" Even though Peter was only a year old, he was very advanced, and Tony claimed he had his genius. Tony then picked up the boy rested his head on his chest, right next to the arc reactor. As impulsive as Tony was, Natasha knew that he wouldn't risk his life with Peter in his arms. Loki could tell this too, and paused to look at the boy.

"Who is this Stark?" Loki asked.

Tony wrapped his other arm around the boy protectively. "My son, Peter. Pete, this is Loki, God of, um, trouble was it?"

"Mischief. It's the God of Mischief." Loki exasperatedly sighed.

"Magic?" Peter asked excitedly.

"Yes, I can do magic." Loki nodded gently, knowing Stark wouldn't hesitate to kill him if he hurt his son.

"Pretty peas do it!" Peter gave his puppy dogs eyes to Loki while wiggling out of his dad's arms.

Loki tried to keep an indifferent face, but when Peter's eyes started to tear up while his lip quivered, Loki couldn't resist. How was someone so cute be related to Stark? Loki glanced over at Tony, who was also giving in to the puppy dog face, and threatened Loki, "Hurt my kid and I won't hesitate to end you. However, that's nothing compared to what his mom would do." Tony paused. "She might even have Pep help her."

Even having no idea who the two women were, Loki got the idea. At once, Loki turned into a small little lab dog, black of course. Peter squealed and grabbed the puppy's tail, causing him to snarl. Peter looked like he was going to cry and Tony was going to rip Loki apart, puppy or not. Slowly, Loki, still a pup, approached Peter again and licked his cheek. Then Peter started to smile and picked the small puppy up and brought him to the couch.

"Keep daddy!" Peter insisted, smiling while petting Loki, who had an amused but humiliated look in his puppy eyes. However, in that moment, Loki promised that he would kill anyone who tried to hurt this precious boy.

"No, Pete, we can't keep a living person." Tony answered, picking Peter back up. Peter buried his head into his father's chest as Loki transformed back into himself.

"Well, were was I? Oh, taking over the world." Loki stated, waving a hand at the boy and his father.

"You're evil?" Peter asked, who looked heartbroken.

"Yes," Loki responded, instantly hurt.

"I don't want you to be evil! I wanted you to be my friend!" At this point, Peter had come down from his father's arms and was now stomping his foot on the ground.

"Peter Stark. Remember what mommy said about stomping your feet?" Tony chided softly, while kneeling down and wiping Peter's tears with his shirt.

"Only she can do it to you." Peter replied, voice wobbling as tears kept falling. Loki lost it. He had never had someone want to be his friend, or even care about him, other than Thor, who didn't count because he was his brother, and Heimdall, who was still loyal to his father. Loki didn't care if it was a one year old Midgardian who couldn't yet speak full sentences, this boy loved him, and wanted him. Loki already felt himself wanting to watch the boy grow up and lead him so that he would never face a problem in his life. That of course, was unrealistic, but Loki could dream.

"Fine." Loki sighed. "I'll stay do magic and not take over the world, as long as Stark, you let me visit Peter."

Tony nodded. Natasha was going to kill him, but then again, when was she not? Eh. He didn't particularly care. Then Hulk burst through and wacked Loki a few times, but when Peter started to whine, Hulk stopped and grabbed Peter in his hand.

"You no cry." Hulk ordered to Peter, gently patting his head. The other Avengers emerged and glanced at each other with questions in their eyes.

--

"I do not mean to request too much Anthony, but if Loki has promised to stay good, could he stay in my floor?"

Natasha starred at him, her eyes challenging the gods. "If I hear anything about you, I will tear you apart piece by piece." Of course, using her Black Widow voice made this ten times more intimidating and even Loki raised a scared eyebrow.

"So where's Peter?" Steve asked. After he and Tony had spoken, and received a sharp slap from Natasha, he had been invited to the tower along with everyone else.

"Right here! You-you're the 'vengers!" Pete exclaimed, with a happy look on his face. "Momma I'm with the 'vengers!

Natasha smiled at the boy and kneeling down, offered her hand to the boy. "Yeah. And mommy and daddy are part of them."

Everyone in the room other than Clint was shocked. Even Steve, who thought he knew Natasha pretty well.

"Surprise and good day!" Tony waved them off, going towards the elevator, Natasha following while Peter held her hand.