Loss - 3

A/N: If you remember back in Family for MJ, Natasha gasps when May mentions her miscarriage. This fic explains why.

Trigger Warning: Miscarriage
IDK if this is an actual trigger, but if it is, you can skip this chapter. It isn't needed to understand the book.

This has a lot of IronWidow and Peter angst. I cried while writing this. I'm very sorry!

- -

Natasha was shaking. She never shook. Red Room had made sure nothing would ever scare her and make her lose control. But somehow, two red lines could shake up her entire world. She was afraid. Not of the shadows or the pain, but of losing.

- -

Tony was in his lab jamming out to AC/DC when Jarvis interrupted him.

"Sir, Natasha requests you to come and eat dinner with her."

"Ok J. Tell her I need 5 more minutes."

"She's demanding your presence. If not, I will have to grant her access to interrupt you."

"Already been done J. Take me up." Tony said, quickly closing the holograms. He grabbed a clean t-shirt from his desk drawer and headed to the penthouse.

- -

Tony was inhaling his omelet. By the time Natasha felt comfortable enough to look at him, his first one was gone.

"You're gonna get sick."

"Eh." Tony replied. "Where's Pete?"

"With Rhodey at the Air Force base."

"Okay." Tony said suspiciously. If Peter had been planning on going, he wouldn't have stopped talking about it and Tony would've never made it to his lab. So it wasn't planned. "Why?"

"I asked Rhodes to take him for a little while."

"Care to say why Mrs. Stark?

Natasha twisted her hands together and didn't look him in the eyes. Tony's eyes darkened and his face lost all playfulness.

"Nat?" Tony asked, fear lacing his voice.

"I'm pregnant."

Tony's eyes went wide and he dropped his fork. This wasn't what he was expecting. He thought that tonight was just an impromptu date night with candles and slow dancing. He should've known, Natasha had made omelets.

Natasha then looked him in the eyes. They were brimmed with tears and every emotion danced nervously about. "I'm scared Tony."

Without saying a word, Tony picked her up bridal style and carried her to the couch. He sat next to her and nuzzled his face in her neck. After a moment of shallow breathing, he broke the silence. "Whatever happens, we'll do it together. We're going to take one day at a time." He took her hand in his and squeezed it. They both glanced at each other, both sets of eyes glistening with fresh tears.

Natasha leaned her head next to the arc reactor. She was still shaking, but Tony was slowing rubbing circles on her back whispering soft words of affection to her. She wondered how she was so blessed. Tony was sweet, kind, and loving, nothing like how the media loved to portray him as. And Peter. The light of their lives. The true heart of the Avengers. She never believed she could have kids, or that she could ever be a good mother. Peter proved her wrong. She still had doubts if she was a good mother, but according to Peter, nobody else even existed.

But now, she was afraid to lose all that she had been blessed with. The likelihood of her or the baby living were not favorable. She wanted to live to see Peter graduate, and to be able to have two children to love. However, she knew the chances weren't very high.