Chapter 4

and when the times get rough, there ain't giving up.
cuz it just feels so right
-Shower, Becky G

Sydney

“What do you want to order?” A waiter asked when we finally sat down at one big table.

Felix who was next me leaned over and took a look at my menu. I looked down embarrassed as he began to speak. “I recommend the cheese fries and milkshake.” I nodded and told the waiter my order.

“Sure.” He said and winked before taking the others’ orders. I heard Felix scoff, so I turned to look at him.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He muttered.

I shrugged it off. “I’ll be back with your orders.” The waiter informed.

Not even before the waiter is fully gone, the guys disperse in their own conversations. I just sat there quietly, playing with my fingers, before deciding to pull out my phone and go through my old photos. There weren’t much of me because I didn’t like the idea of smiling at a camera too much. But as some occasions, I would.

“That hair, though.” My eyes widened as I only then realised Jisung was looking over at my phone from next to me.

I coughed. “Um, yeah, back when I had pink highlights.” I said as casually as I could. Why is he so close to me? Jisung hummed as he lifted his hand to touch my brown hair, though, I didn’t realise that was what he was doing, so I slapped him. In the face, hard.

It was so loud that the other boys stopped their conversations and looked over to us with curious, wondering eyes. Jisung’s eyes widened in shock as his jaw slackened and his mouth fell open at the severity, while I pulled my hand back slowly, eyes wide at what I had just done.

“The hell was that for?” He yelled.

“Uh, I-I--”

“Not again, Syd..” Hyunjin sighed. “She was being cautious, Ji.”

Jisung’s eyebrows furrowed in anger and confusion as he glance between Hyunjin and I for a bit before his eyes rested on mine. “What do you mean by ‘cautious’? I was just going to touch her hair.” Jisung argued.

My...bad?

“It’s a problem…She probably thought you were going to slap her or something.”

“It’s not a problem, Hyunjin.” I glared at him for saying such words. “It wasn’t my fault that I had to learn self-defense because of what I caused, just in case it happened again.”  

Hyunjin’s eyes softened. “Syd, I didn’t mean it like that. You know it’s not your fault.”

I stood up and glared at him, ignoring all of the curious eyes-- from the guys. “Yeah? Well, try telling that to my mum. Or, better, how about my dead father.” I growled. Without another word, I slid past Jisung, Woojin and Chan- who were at the end of the booth and walked outside. I needed to clear my head.

Not your fault. He wasn’t even there. I was. I watched my father take a bullet, when it was meant for me. I was meant to die.

Not him.

Me. I deserved it. Life would be better for him, my mum, Hyunjin, my grandmother…if it was me. One thing I was going to make sure is that no one ever does that again.

Hyunjin

“Wait, Sydney!” I yelled after her. She didn’t hear me, though. At that time, she was already through the door. I tugged at my hair in frustration.

“Well that went from zero to a hundred real quick.” Said Seungmin, sighing.

“Uh.. what was that?” Chan asked, with a confused expression on his face.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. “I messed up, that’s what happened.”

Jisung shook his head as a sad expression took over his features. “Okay, now I feel guilty.”

“You shouldn't.” Felix reassured him, placing a hand on his shoulder while looking at me. His eyes were pleading me. I sighed. I know he wanted to go after her. But I also wanted to. She’s my best friend. But my guess is that I was the last person she wanted to see. Still, I had a hunch of where she would’ve gone.

“Okay, look guys. We split up and find her. I have an idea of where she went but I’m not sure. First of all, Chan, Woojin and Changbin, you guys can check the boxing arena she used to go to with her friends. One of her friends’ dad worked there so they got in all the time.” I said. “I’ll text you the place address.” The three nodded and exited the restaurant. Then I looked over at Minho, Jeongin and Seungmin. “You three can check home, just in case.” I instructed. They also nodded before running out to get in Chan’s car.

“That leaves us three, then.” Jisung said nervously.

“Don’t be so nervous, dude. She’s not going to punch you… I hope.” I bit my lip and shook my head. “Okay, let’s go.”

unedited

(a/n: ik i said i wouldnt update but this one is especially for my lil fren, Kate <3

also queen becky g)