Chapter 10

I was so young and was so scared
ㅡ Dinasour, Akdong Musician (AKMU)

Sydney

The movie was great it's just that I could feel Felix tense up whenever our hands accidentally brushed each other. I mean, I did, too, but I think his was more obvious. He had something on his mind and it was holding him back. Whatever it was made his whole attitude change. The movie finally ended and we were exiting when I stopped Felix as he was about to stand by placing a hand on his.

He didn't look at me but froze in his seat, staring straight ahead. “Felix.” I called his name but got no reply. “Felix.” I tried again, but, yet again was ignored.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh at his childish behaviour. “Felix Lee, you better tell me what is on your mind right now.” I demanded.

“Nothing.” He finally replied, looking at me.

“What? Of course there is, Lix, I’m not blind.”

Felix sighed and looked me dead in the eye. “There is nothing wrong.”

“So, then why are you being like this? Felix, I am genuinely concerned.”

“Why would you care?” He suddenly raised his voice.

“Because…”

Just come out and say it Sydney. Just do it.

“I’m your friend.”

FUDGE.

Felix kept his blank look before something flashed in his eyes but it disappeared as quick as it appeared.  

“And…” I breathed out and squeezed his hand reassuringly. “I like you. More… than a friend should. And it feels so terrible because I know I just got here about a two weeks ago but still I’ve developed feelings for you.” I squeezed my eyes shut so I couldn't see his reaction. “I like you, Felix.” I let out a breath; accepting the truth. I like him.

I slowly opened my eyes to see Felix staring at me with a surprised expression upon his face. “I…” He barely got out.

I sighed and nodded. “I understand.” Accepting defeat, I stood up. All of that courage gone to waste. It's a sign.

I grabbed my phone and was about to walk away when I felt fingers wrap around my wrist, pulling me backwards. I stumbled backwards into a wall.. body. I sighed shakily and faced Felix with glassy eyes.

Hold it in, Syd. I kept repeating to myself. I chewed my bottom lip as I looked at his pleading eyes.

“I like you, too.” Those four words made the world around me freeze as I felt my body being pulled into an almost-bone-crushing hug. “I like you, too.” He repeated, stroking my hair softly. I closed my eyes tightly and tried to control my breathing.

What's happening? Why is it happening? What did i do to deserve this?

Finally, I decided to hug him back, resting my head on his shoulder and closing my eyes, just enjoying his presence and breathing in his intoxicating scent. It made me feel safe and all warm inside.

We stayed like that for about five minutes before pulling away. As if on cue, Felix’s ringtone blared loudly, reminding me where we were. Still in the movie theatre. But everyone was gone. Felix sighed and took his phone out of his pocket. “Chan? Yes… oh really? Okay, we’ll be out in a second.” Then he hung up.

“Lemme guess, Chan is outside?” I chuckled softly at Felix’s disappointed look.

“Yeah, I guess this is enough for today, anyhow.” He smiled a bit and used his thumb to wipe a stray tear from my face.