Chapter 35: A Pretty Heart is Stronger than a Ugly One

After the Sandalstraw contest, Cayla stayed behind to watch Pokemon Ping Pong. She soothed Barry after he didn't wind, luckily he didn't take it too hard. It was hard to say goodbye to Ambipom, but she agreed that it was best for the Pokemon to be happy, even if it made you a bit sad. Dawn didn't cry in front of the boys, but during a walk that Cayla dragged her on, she let it all out. Cayla stayed quiet, holding Dawn close so she could cry it all out. After bidding goodbye to everyone, Cayla was on her way home. Onto Sandgem town to train and prepare for the Grand Festival.

--------

Cayla was singing a sweet tune as she cooked for her Pokemon. They were about a 3 hour walk away from Sandgem town, and it was noon. Bell and Vapor were sitting next to her, calmly watching while Pachil, CC, and Zero ran around and played. "It's almost done everyone." She smiled, petting Vapor's frills as she passed and set things up on the picnic blanket.

"Purr." A gruff growl caused Cayla to look up. Standing in front of them was a large grey and white Purugly.

"Awe, hi cu-AH!" Cayla squeaked and moved out of the way as the Pokemon attacked.

Purugly's claws came out in a Fury Swipes. It slashed at Bell and Vapor, causing the water and grass Pokemon to dodge. Vapor use Hydro Pump, splashing Purugly while leading it away form the trainer.

"Ah! Purugly please!" A young woman ran towards them. She took out a Poke-Ball and returned the normal time. "Oh no! I'm so sorry!" She ran over to Cayla and helped her up. Cayla smiled, looking at the woman. She looked about 20 years old with long purple hair, and green, worry stricken eyes. She was dressed like a business woman, in a black dress suit.

"No one got hurt, but why did your Purugly attack my Pokemon?" Cayla asked petting Vapor and Bell while checking for injuries. The male Pokemon all ran over.

"Oh dear, I was hoping you wouldn't ask." They woman sighed. "Well, my name is Dauna, and this Purugly isn't mine, it's my sister's. My sister is a coordinator, and she really loves beautiful beautiful Pokemon. Purugly was my sister's top partner when it was a Glameow, but when it evolved, my sister didn't want anything to do with it. Since then, whenever Purugly sees a beautiful Pokemon, it attacks."

Cayla frowned, "That's terrible." She whispered before her lights sparked in her gray eyes. "How about we have some lunch, and then, if you'll allow it, I would like to battle with Purugly."

Confused, but intrigued the woman nodded.

After lunch, like promised, they had a Battle:

"CC, lets start the show!" Cayla hummed, pointing ahead.

"Chimchar!" 'On it!' He cooed, taking his place as the other Pokemon sat back to watch.

"Okay Purugly, lets try our best!" Dauna said a bit shakily.

Purugly popped out and growled when seeing Vapor and Bell again. But before they could attack, Cayla started the battle.

"CC use Fire Spin!" Cayla said seriously.

CC opened his muzzle, hitting Purugly with his Fire Spin while it was distracted.

"Purugly use Fury Swipes!" The woman ordered.

Purugly listened, but headed to Vapor rather than CC.

"CC use Focus Punch!" CC darted after the Tiger Cat Pokemon, hitting it with the strong Fighting Type move and sending it across the field.

"PUROW!" Purugly yowled, sliding against the grass.

"Stop looking at them!" Cayla demanded, drawing the attention towards her. "Beauty isn't everything, and neither is physical strength! You were hurt by your trainer, and you have every right to be upset, but work towards showing your ex trainer what you're made of! If you can't do that, that hatred will build inside you and then you'll become ugly on the inside!"

Purugly watched in awe, listening to the rant. Cayla walked up to the Pokemon and cupped their face.

"Don't let those ugly words turn you ugly. You're beautiful, inside and out. Whoever can't see that, doesn't deserve you." Cayla finished, smiling down kindly. Purugly's eyes filled with tears before they launched into her arms, crying in loud yowls while Cayla pet them. "You're okay." Cayla's Pokemon ran over, muttering soothing coos. Cayla sunk to the grand with the large cat in her arms.

Dauna smiled and sat down beside them. "You know what you're talking about huh?" She asked.

"When I was younger I was picked on. I guess my eyes are colored odd? It really got to me if I'm honest. But I still made friends, and I realized I was loved. The things that were told to me still hurt, but my friends, and family were always there to remind me I was loved." Cayla smiled brightly.

Dauna smiled and looked away. "Could you take Purugly with you? I think it would really benefit with you as their trainer."

"Purugly," Cayla looked down, meeting damp golden eyes. "Would you like to join us? We would love to have you." As if to prove her point, her Pokemon all let out cries of agreement. Purugly smiled, purring against her hands. "Then, I guess it's time for a name. How about..Topaz?"

Pu-Topaz smiled a bright smile and purred."Purrow!" 'Thank you!'