Chapter 5

Jaggedpaw did his best not to gag at the scent of mouse bile. He looked at the tick buried deep in Rockflower's shoulder. After a few moments, the tick pulled out of her flesh. Jaggedpaw knocked it to the ground and crushed it with his paw. He set the foul stick down and looked over Rockflower's gray pelt. "Is there any more?" He questioned.

"I don't think so." The old she-cat croaked, looking over her own fur. "Thank you, Jaggedpaw, that thing was really buggin' me."

"Maybe now she'll stop complaining about it all the time." Dustfang snorted from the other side of the den, his nose tucked under his tail. "Then again she always has something to complain about."

"Like my rude denmate." Rockflower lashed her tail. Jaggedpaw could tell from their voices that they really didn't hate each other, they were just bantering. What else do elders have to do? He thought.

"It's my pleasure." Jaggedpaw looked down at Rockflower. "Hareclaw told me that if I did a good job then I get to go to the gathering tonight."

"I remember my first gathering." Dustfang mewed, sounding nostalgic. "Birdstar wasn't even deputy then!"

"We get it," Rockflower rolled her faded blue eyes. "You're older than dirt."

"I've got more spring in my step then you." Dustfang's head was lifted now and he had green eyes narrowed at Rockflower.

Rockflower let out a deep chuckle then gazed up at Jaggedpaw. "What are you still doing here? Go tell Hareclaw that you have my seal of approval to go the gathering tonight."

"Thank you." Jaggedpaw dipped his head respectfully, grabbed the bile covered branch and left the elder's den. He disposed of the branch and scanned the camp for Hareclaw. He spotted pale brown tom speaking with Krestleflame near the fresh-kill pile. He padded towards his mentor, Hareclaw noticed and gazed towards Jaggedpaw.

"Did you get all of their ticks?" Hareclaw questioned.

Jaggedpaw nodded. "Dustfang didn't have any and Rockflower had two. She said that I had her seal of approval."

Hareclaw chuckled. "Is that so?" He looked towards Krestleflame who purred with amusement. Hareclaw turned his gaze back to Jaggedpaw. "Very well, Jaggedpaw, you can go to the gathering tonight."

"Thank you so much!" Jaggedpaw nearly jumped in the air, he was so excited. I'll finally get to see the other Clans! He turned away, desperately searching for Maplepaw and Elmpaw. He knew that Cedarcloud had told Maplepaw she could go, but he didn't know about Elmpaw just yet.

Jaggedpaw scanned the camp, not spotting Maplepaw or Elmpaw, only Fawnsky who was sitting with Mosswing as usual. He quickly approached the two she-cats. "Have you seen Maplepaw and Elmpaw?" He questioned, trying to keep his voice steady despite his excitement.

"I believe Maplepaw is out hunting." Fawnsky replied. "I saw her, Cedarcloud, Patchfoot and Badgerpaw all leave at about sunhigh. As for Elmpaw, I haven't seen him since this morning when he was with Skytail."

"I think Jumpheart sent both him and Skytail on patrol, they should be back here soon." Mosswing added, her eyes sparkled with interest. "You seem excited." She purred.

"Hareclaw told me that I can go to the gathering tonight." Jaggedpaw shared the news with his mother and Mosswing. "And I want to know if Elmpaw is going."

"I don't see why he wouldn't." Mosswing mewed. "I've heard quite good things from Skytail about him. He's just a little bit too arrogant for his own good."

Jaggedpaw snorted. "A little? He's lucky that he got to go patrol while I was stuck dealing with mouse bile and ticks."

Fawnsky flicked her tail across Jaggedpaw's ears. "Those elders have done a lot for your Clan." She mewed, her voice stern but hiding traces of affection. "You should respect them."